Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:48
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2007

I have a file, that does not look anything special. Sentences, ending on periods etc....

The funny thing is TRADOS is somehow of an opinion that it takes keep two or three sentences to make a segment - even if theres nothing funny about them. ask the system to shrink the bloated segments, they come readily apart.

How do I fix the situation, so I do not have to shrink the segments again and again?

TiA

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
One possible explanation Aug 9, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

I have a file, that does not look anything special. Sentences, ending on periods etc....
TiA

The sentences probably end with something that Trados thinks is an abbreviation. The program assumes that the period is part of the abbreviation rather than the end of a sentence.

For instance, in English source files, it doesn't break after sentences that end with the word "me." I guess it's reading "me." as an abbreviation for "mile" or something like that. Shrinking the segment solves the problem, but it means you won't get reliable analyses of future documents since the analysis tool assumes you kept the default segmentation, so you'll get fewer matches than you would otherwise.

[Edited at 2007-08-09 21:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sentences stick together

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs