https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/80942-sentences_stick_together.html

Sentences stick together
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:56
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 9, 2007

I have a file, that does not look anything special. Sentences, ending on periods etc....

The funny thing is TRADOS is somehow of an opinion that it takes keep two or three sentences to make a segment - even if theres nothing funny about them. ask the system to shrink the bloated segments, they come readily apart.

How do I fix the situation, so I do not have to shrink the segments again and again?

TiA

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:56
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
One possible explanation Aug 9, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

I have a file, that does not look anything special. Sentences, ending on periods etc....
TiA

The sentences probably end with something that Trados thinks is an abbreviation. The program assumes that the period is part of the abbreviation rather than the end of a sentence.

For instance, in English source files, it doesn't break after sentences that end with the word "me." I guess it's reading "me." as an abbreviation for "mile" or something like that. Shrinking the segment solves the problem, but it means you won't get reliable analyses of future documents since the analysis tool assumes you kept the default segmentation, so you'll get fewer matches than you would otherwise.

[Edited at 2007-08-09 21:12]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sentences stick together

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »