Powerpoint and Trados
Thread poster: briski

briski  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:05
Italian to French
+ ...
Aug 10, 2007

I have a PPT file and would like to work on it using Trados. Is it possible?

I know that I have to use Tag editor..but could someone tell me how? I have never done it before, and now i would really be useful

Thanks

[Edited at 2007-08-10 09:19]

Direct link Reply with quote

Darius Porebski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Of course Aug 10, 2007

Most simple: Open the document using Trados TagEditor, voilà! Ready for translation.

Regards

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Documentation Aug 10, 2007

I have also not done it using Trados yet, but I did find an explanation in the documentation for Trados 2007. I fyou have that version go to the "file formats reference guide" (a PDF file) it has a section on translating PPT documents. You can find it in start>programs>SDL international>SDL Trados 2007 Freelance> Documentation (if you have used the normal installation)

[Edited at 2007-08-10 09:42]

Lily Zhang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
my solution Aug 10, 2007

Briski,

You can first run Trados Workbench. Open Tools-->Translate-->Add, and click the "Translate" tab. By this, you can get a .ttx file. Then you will run Workbench and Tageditor. Open the .ttx file in Tageditor. Use Tageditor as the MS window when you handle a WORD file. After finish the translation, clean up the .ttx file. You will see the target language is incorprated into the PPT file. However, you may have to review the file and format it from time to time.

Hope this helps.

Lily

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
It works relatively well Aug 10, 2007

There are two main issues to worry about.

1) Font resizing, especially if you're translating in a language pair that produces "text expansion." Let's say that the headers at the top of each slide are in 14-point type, and you wind up with a couple of slides where the target text is too long to fit. You or the client will have to go through and drop the font size of the headers (preferably on all the slides, so it looks consistent).

2) Text in graphics. PowerPoint presentations often include charts that were created in other programs. You need to find out whether the client needs these translated, and you should increase your price quote accordingly. They can't be done directly in Trados, so bill for the time.

[Edited at 2007-08-10 16:26]

briski  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you! Aug 10, 2007

Thank to your advices, I was able to start translating using tag editor for my first time..and I have learnt a lot...:)
I hope that I have done the right steps, but apparently Trados seems to work well:)

..great save of time!!
Will be checking for font resinzing and any other issue you suggested me once I have finished.

Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint and Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs