Thread poster: lingtech
lingtech
lingtech
Local time: 20:36
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 13, 2007

Hi,

I've found several websites explaining the use of Story Collector from Trados when exporting and importing InDesign files. Can somebody maybe explain how I install and make use of Story Collector for SDLTrados 2006?

My usual procedure involves exporting InDesign files into .inx format, translating the tagged file in TagEditor and then importing the .inx file back into InDesign. This has however often caused me MANY problems when re-importing due to missing tags etc.
... See more
Hi,

I've found several websites explaining the use of Story Collector from Trados when exporting and importing InDesign files. Can somebody maybe explain how I install and make use of Story Collector for SDLTrados 2006?

My usual procedure involves exporting InDesign files into .inx format, translating the tagged file in TagEditor and then importing the .inx file back into InDesign. This has however often caused me MANY problems when re-importing due to missing tags etc. I would therefore like to know more about Story Collector and the .isc (?) format if it helps the procedure.

Thank you in advance.
Best
Lea
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No story collector for InDesign CS2 & CS3 Aug 13, 2007

You can use story collector only for InDesign 2 or InDesign CS (InDesign 3).
The inx-process is only available for InDesign CS2 for now.
Nevertheless, missing Tags shall not be a problem and are - if they occur - your problem and not the one of the software. To avoid missing Tags use Tag verifier in Tageditor.

Jerzy

lingtech
lingtech
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 13, 2007

Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought myself since I hadn't heard of it but I wanted to be absoloutly sure.

When you say, that there isn't an .inx export available for InDesign CS3, it's not quite true since I've exported .ind files successfully to .inx format a couple of times. Or were you thinking of another export format?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I was not precise enough Aug 13, 2007

The inx-export from InDesign CS3 ist NOT yet officially supported by SDL Trados. I did not mean you cannot export inx from CS3. To process CS3 in Trados you will need to export inx compatible with CS2, what should be possible, as I was told.

Jerzy

lingtech
lingtech
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK :-) Aug 13, 2007

OK - then we're on the same page

Thank you for helping out

Best
Lea

Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
No need to export Nov 13, 2007

The 7.1 TagEditor filter now allows opening InDesign documents straight with TagEditor without any export from InDesign.

Mathieu

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, you are not precise here Nov 13, 2007

Mathieu Jacquet wrote:

The 7.1 TagEditor filter now allows opening InDesign documents straight with TagEditor without any export from InDesign.

Mathieu

Tageditor only opens inx file format, which is an export file format from InDesign.
When you open a file in InDesign (an indd file), you will have to choose "Export" from menu "File" to get the file exported to inx frmat. This means that you do not have the possibility to "save as" inx, but just have to export.
AFAIK SDLX is able to open indd files, but it seems to need InDesign installed, as during the test creation of a project SDLX opened InDesign. However, no inx files has been then created. But I don't know much about SDLX.

Jerzy

Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Right Nov 17, 2007

You're right Jerzy, you have to export to inx first, mea culpa.

By the way, how effective do you find dealing with inx is (compared to former tagged txt format) ?

Mathieu

[Modifié le 2007-11-17 15:16]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
IMHO inx process with Trados still needs some improvement Nov 18, 2007

although compared with workung with a StoryCollector the inx is the better way.
Nevertheless, when I compare working with inx and working with mif, so I really prefer mif. However, this may also be caused by the fact, that Framemaker is my favourite tool, compared with InDesign, which I don't like so much.

Jerzy

Mihai Manastireanu
Mihai Manastireanu  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
Some details, please... Aug 30, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Mathieu Jacquet wrote:

Mathieu

Tageditor only opens inx file format, which is an export file format from InDesign.
When you open a file in InDesign (an indd file), you will have to choose "Export" from menu "File" to get the file exported to inx frmat. This means that you do not have the possibility to "save as" inx, but just have to export.
AFAIK SDLX is able to open indd files, but it seems to need InDesign installed, as during the test creation of a project SDLX opened InDesign. However, no inx files has been then created. But I don't know much about SDLX.

Jerzy

Jerzy, regarding the inx format: is this format obtainable from ANY version of InDesign or only from certain versions?

And a second question if I may: After translating the text in TagEditor, is there any means of reexporting the translation back into the native InDesign format?

I have this concern for a while, since I am very interested in the DTP processing of large-scale texts.

Many thanks in advance,

Mihai

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Some notes Sep 1, 2008

mihaim wrote:

Jerzy, regarding the inx format: is this format obtainable from ANY version of InDesign or only from certain versions?

And a second question if I may: After translating the text in TagEditor, is there any means of reexporting the translation back into the native InDesign format?

1. INX is the suggested workflow for InDesign CS2/CS3 documents. InDesign CS documents can be exported with InDesign Story Collector.

2. Once you finish translation of your TTX file, simply Save Target As (remember to keep the source INX file in the same folder) into subfolder (that's usually the best way to keep everything under control). Cross your fingers and with some luck you will get translated INX file in a minute or two. You can open this file in InDesign and simply resave it as regular InDesign file. No import/export, simply open it.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you keep the same Trados version, the INX should work Sep 1, 2008

Provided the InDesign file ist set up properly, the INX workflow does go through without any major problems.
However, it is always advisable to get the INX exported twice. This means opening the original InDesign file in InDesign CS2/CS3 (when possible, prefer CS3), exporting it as INX, then closing the InDesign file, opening the exported INX and exporting THIS file again as INX.
Then translate the INX in Tageditor. Before you go through the whole file, do a test. Translate some very
... See more
Provided the InDesign file ist set up properly, the INX workflow does go through without any major problems.
However, it is always advisable to get the INX exported twice. This means opening the original InDesign file in InDesign CS2/CS3 (when possible, prefer CS3), exporting it as INX, then closing the InDesign file, opening the exported INX and exporting THIS file again as INX.
Then translate the INX in Tageditor. Before you go through the whole file, do a test. Translate some very few sentences at random positions in the text. Then try to save the INX file back. If this works, the proces is stable and you shouldn't run into problems.

Will you outsource the file however, problems are already "built in". Only if all people involved have exactly THE SAME build of Trados with all the same updates, the process should work. It is enough, that the translator will have a different build of Tageditor to get this process stuck.
Collapse

Mihai Manastireanu
English to Romanian
+ ...
"Mysterious" message when opening INX in TagEditor Sep 1, 2008

Thank you all so much... yet another problem seems to arise.

The original document is an InDesign CS3 document. After the double conversion Jerzy was talking about, upon opening in TagEditor here's what I ended up with (I give you the exact copy of the text in the dialog box):

"This document contains unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element .
A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type.
Would you like to specify the settings file now?
... See more
Thank you all so much... yet another problem seems to arise.

The original document is an InDesign CS3 document. After the double conversion Jerzy was talking about, upon opening in TagEditor here's what I ended up with (I give you the exact copy of the text in the dialog box):

"This document contains unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element .
A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type.
Would you like to specify the settings file now?"

The only TRADOS-legible format I could convert the indd file into was HTML, but it was of absolutely no use as far as reconverting to indd was concerned...

I also tried to open the .INX file into InDesign CS in order to use StoryCollector, yet the CS version was unable to recognize the .INX.

And I'm really, really out of ideas...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please register your software Sep 2, 2008

Go to Start - Programs - SDL International and so on, locate the Trados group and let the "Register SDL Trados..." run.
For unknown reasons the filter for InDesign seems not to be registered in your system.
All this is of course under the condition, you are using SDL Trados 2007 SP2, as only this will be able to read InDesign CS3 files. The best option would be SDL Trados 2007 version 8.2.0.835 (Build 835) with Tageditor build 836 and all patches installed. You can check for latest p
... See more
Go to Start - Programs - SDL International and so on, locate the Trados group and let the "Register SDL Trados..." run.
For unknown reasons the filter for InDesign seems not to be registered in your system.
All this is of course under the condition, you are using SDL Trados 2007 SP2, as only this will be able to read InDesign CS3 files. The best option would be SDL Trados 2007 version 8.2.0.835 (Build 835) with Tageditor build 836 and all patches installed. You can check for latest patches at http://talisma.sdl.com
Collapse

Mihai Manastireanu
English to Romanian
+ ...
Checking the trados version... Sep 2, 2008

Looks like I own Trados Freelance 7, build 7.0.0.615. Need I upgrade to Trados 2007 sp2 or does the present version suffice? Thank you very much again.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Story Collector+InDesign CS3 + SDLTrados 2006 Professional

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »