Mobile menu

Trados segmentation problem
Thread poster: Pauline Gerdes

Pauline Gerdes
Local time: 00:46
German to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 16, 2007

I have a problem with a Word file. Using Trados (freelance, 7) it only takes one character as a segment, if I try to use the expand option, it only takes the next character.
There are no spaces between the characters so that can't be the problem.
If I open up an other Word file to translate, and use the same TM there is no problem at all and the segments are taken as usual.
I even tried to copy the text into another new document, but this doesn't help either.

All solutions are welcome!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm not sure I understand Aug 16, 2007

Hi there,

Sorry but I'm not sure if I understand. Say, you have:

"Good morning"

as a sentence to translate, then Trados opens "G" as a segment, then "o", then "o", then "d" and so on?

This is a wild guess but if the file doesn't have a lot of formatting, images, tables and stuff like that (ie: if it is mainly text) I guess you can follow this procedure:

- Open the Word file
- Copy all the content (Select all text and Copy it)
- Paste the text in Notepad
- Open a blank Word file
- Copy the text from Notepad
- Paste the text you copied from Notepad into the blank Word file
- Try to start translating

I hope this does the trick. Please let us know what happens.

Local time: 00:46
English to German
+ ...
did the trick Aug 30, 2007

just had the same problem and found this forum. the procedure you suggested did the trick indeed. thanks Jeronimo!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados segmentation problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs