Thread poster: Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
Local time: 04:57
French to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 16, 2007

Hi! my computer turned off suddently, I had nothing saved and now, when I write back in Trados they say "key already in C:\Documents and Settings..... the file. iix" What should I do? Do I still have a chance? Please help me!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-16 20:57]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:57
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reorganise the TM Aug 16, 2007

So you will be able to use the translation from you file you worked on when the power went down. Everything nsaved/unrestored will however be lost.

Jerzy

Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
French to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not so true... Aug 16, 2007

Every time I try to continue my translation from the point where the power went down they say that they have in iix file the key... But i don't know how to get it...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Excuse me, what is "not so true"? Aug 16, 2007

Did you reorganise your TM?
Please be precise in what you write, no one here is a wizzard and can read behind the lines.

Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
French to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok... Aug 16, 2007

ok... so i tried a lot of times and then i guess it was blocking in one line, because now, after that line, it works to translate it again... I lost half of the transaltion, but i still have time until tomorrow

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Now would you told me what was your source file, maybe I could help you ... Aug 16, 2007

to find out, where some information for restoring the file could be saved.
If you work with Word, you should set Word to save you file every single minute (auto save time = 1 minute). This way Word would recover most of your translation.
However, if you worked with Word, there is still a big chance, that you did not loose everything. Check in your temp folder for *.tmp files. Open the biggest of them in Word, one of them might be a copy of your document, but including much more infor
... See more
to find out, where some information for restoring the file could be saved.
If you work with Word, you should set Word to save you file every single minute (auto save time = 1 minute). This way Word would recover most of your translation.
However, if you worked with Word, there is still a big chance, that you did not loose everything. Check in your temp folder for *.tmp files. Open the biggest of them in Word, one of them might be a copy of your document, but including much more information, than the one you opened right now. Other files might also be saved in Word folder in c:\documents and settings\application data\microsoft\word

Jerzy
Collapse

Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
French to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XML file Aug 16, 2007

my file was a *.xml file...

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then I'm sorry, but there is no chance to recover anything Aug 16, 2007

In fact the only help against such events is buying an UPS power supply, which keeps your PC alive even if the mains breaks down and allows you to save everything.
But you cannot protect yourself against a computer crash, so the only advice I can think of for the future is saving your file every now and than (but more often than once per hour).

Jerzy

Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
French to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very very mucj Aug 16, 2007

it seems that i have only good things to learn from here... thank you again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message: Key already exists...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »