SDL Trados/MultiTerm 2007 term recognition still not working
Thread poster: Neal Witkowski
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
"invalid pointer" when using converted Excel file in MultiTerm 2007 Sep 23, 2007

Here's an additional issue I have with MultiTerm 2007 (build 444).

When I convert an Excel file (very straighforward with GERMAN and DUTCH above the respective colums) with SDL 2007 MultiTerm Convert, the result is an XML file that can be imported by MultiTerm and the terms will be shown in the Browse Pane, but the large pane contains only an error message, namely

Error
Ungültiger Zeiger (Invalid Pointer)
OK

Which, of course, is not "OK" at al
... See more
Here's an additional issue I have with MultiTerm 2007 (build 444).

When I convert an Excel file (very straighforward with GERMAN and DUTCH above the respective colums) with SDL 2007 MultiTerm Convert, the result is an XML file that can be imported by MultiTerm and the terms will be shown in the Browse Pane, but the large pane contains only an error message, namely

Error
Ungültiger Zeiger (Invalid Pointer)
OK

Which, of course, is not "OK" at all, but it's the only button to push.

Here, too, I have reinstalled, re-registered, the works, all to no avail.

I CAN import older termbases and they work fine, at least in TagEditor. In Word there is the famous "null" message, but that's another story.

Any ideas?

Regards, Marinus
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
MultiTerm 7 in Word restored Sep 25, 2007

A solution for the problem "Null" "No connection" in Word:

Go to
C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Trados\MultiTerm
and delete MultiTerm7dot.xml.

You can also use the Search function to look for that file and delete it.

Thanks to the colleague who pointed it out in another thread.

Gaby Isabelle Gélinas (X)
Gaby Isabelle Gélinas (X)
Canada
Local time: 07:25
English to French
Yes, it works in Vista Oct 6, 2007

Bruno Magne wrote:

I remember having read somewhere that to this day, Multiterm 7 does not work under Vista.

Bruno

The SDL support people should be able to help you to solve this issue, even though lately they have not been very active...

Sorry Bruno, but that is not true. I have it installed in Vista, it's working fine both with Vista and Workbench. What it's not working with is MS Word... But now that I found out how to add termes directly from Workbench, my life has gotten much easier.

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ungültiger Zeiger / Invalid Pointer in MultiTerm on import of XML solved Oct 13, 2007

I found the solution to the issue mentioned elsewhere, in another very nice and recommendable forum that for obscure reasons must not be named. Anyway, thanks to Denis Hay for posting it there.

If you can't access it, this is the solution:

After converting the Excel file with MultiTerm convert you have to create a new termbase in MultiTerm.
In step 1 of 5 choose the third option - radio button "Load an existing termbase definition file". This file (*.xdt) is to be
... See more
I found the solution to the issue mentioned elsewhere, in another very nice and recommendable forum that for obscure reasons must not be named. Anyway, thanks to Denis Hay for posting it there.

After converting the Excel file with MultiTerm convert you have to create a new termbase in MultiTerm.
In step 1 of 5 choose the third option - radio button "Load an existing termbase definition file". This file (*.xdt) is to be found in the same folder the *.xml file is stored by MT convert.
After that, things should run smoothly.

One of the many quirks of SDL MultitTerm. By the way: MultiTerm 2007 still shows "Invalid Pointer" (Ungültiger Zeiger) in the large pane on the right when I try to open one of the files made with Convert. If anyone knows more about this issue: please let me know.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2007-10-14 06:14]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In Vista, disable User Account Control Oct 16, 2007

This did it for me.

Somehow the UAC interfase was messing with Multiterm, now everything works fine.

I have Windows Vista, SDL TRados 2007, Multiterm 7, Office 2003.

I tried many things but this was the solution for me. I recently had to enable UAC for another reason and Multiterm stopped working in Word, after disabling it again, Multiterm was back on.

Hope it helps!

Fiona Paterson
Fiona Paterson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:25
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Registration worked for me May 13, 2008

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I couldn't get SDLX to recognise terms in new termbases although older termbases were working fine, and everything looked fine in Multiterm itself. Going to start/all programmes/SDL Trados 2006/register SDL Trados 2006 fixed the problem. I recently reinstalled and I think that term recognition wasn't working for the termbases created after the reinstallation.

Fiona

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:25
English to Finnish
+ ...
Chinese menu here, too Jul 6, 2008

Neal Witkowski wrote:

After opening Word today, for yet another unexplained reason, my MultiTerm menu was in Chinese!!?

This happened to me today. I am using Word 11.8215.8202 SP3, and MultiTerm 7.5.0.444. I never use Chinese.

Restarting MultiTerm or Word did not help, but rebooting the entire system did.

SDL software truly is filled with strange bugs.

Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:25
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same error when importing xml comverted from xls Aug 29, 2008

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

In step 1 of 5 choose the third option - radio button "Load an existing termbase definition file". This file (*.xdt) is to be found in the same folder the *.xml file is stored by MT convert.
After that, things should run smoothly.

[Edited at 2007-10-14 06:14]

It worked also for my problem!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks again!!!
I
Cristina

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados/MultiTerm 2007 term recognition still not working

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »