TagEditor 8.0.0.822 wrongly advises: at least one tag is missing…
Thread poster: Nicole Maina

Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:58
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 23, 2007

Hello,

I have checked the forums about this well known message “at least one tag is missing”, but there apparently there is no case like mine.

I usually copy source on target and then edit only the text there, without even touching the tags. So they should be identical.

If I have a match, I translate and then copy and paste the tags from source, so there should not be any mistakes.

While translating like this, I usually don’t get any error message. But then, when reading over the whole file again, from the beginning, if I make a small change to the text, or click on “get translation”, when I try to close and save, the message pops up. Sometimes it even appears without touching anything.

Why is this? If the message didn’t pop up during translation, why should it during proofreading?

If during proofreading I copy and paste the tags again from source into target, everything ist fine. But I can’t do this all the time, or proofreading will take me twice the time.

If I choose to show complete tag text, is it enough to check that tags “look” the same, i.e. contain the same characters? I mostly don’t know what they mean (I know I should), so I am unsure when this message pops up, even if comparing source and target everything looks fine.

Can I just ignore the message? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance!
Nicole

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Same looking tags are not always the same Aug 23, 2007

Nicole Maina wrote:

If I choose to show complete tag text, is it enough to check that tags “look” the same, i.e. contain the same characters? I mostly don’t know what they mean (I know I should), so I am unsure when this message pops up, even if comparing source and target everything looks fine.

Can I just ignore the message? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you very much in advance!
Nicole

Hi,

they are, for example, numbered within the text, so you cannot replace same tag No. 58 with looking the same tag No. 67 from TM. You will get this error message then, since you have to maintain the tag order. This applies mostly to more complex tags; in most cases you can freely replace tags containing bold, italic, break etc.

There might be other explanations, but this one is based on my own experience.

Regards

Andrzej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what does the verifier say? Aug 23, 2007

Checking the tags before delivering is much the same as checking the spelling - which is why F8 is just next to F7 (g) in TagEditor.

The verifier works 99% OK for me, and the few cases, where I cant figure out what it means, it is complaining about something around the end of, or even past the end of the segment. Or it's complaining about the order for instance, because I had to reshuffle the tags. Or - and that's most often - about missing blanks before or after some tag. I hate to have to do it, but it saves a lot of trouble I guess for those who get the result through DTP for instance.

So ... to come back to my question - what does the verifier say?

Regards

Vito

Italy
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, andzej Aug 23, 2007

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

Hi,

they are, for example, numbered within the text, so you cannot replace same tag No. 58 with looking the same tag No. 67 from TM. You will get this error message then, since you have to maintain the tag order. This applies mostly to more complex tags; in most cases you can freely replace tags containing bold, italic, break etc.

There might be other explanations, but this one is based on my own experience.

Regards

Andrzej

I have never changed the order. I mostly copy source on target, so order does not change. I must be something else...

Italy
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, vito Aug 23, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

Checking the tags before delivering is much the same as checking the spelling - which is why F8 is just next to F7 (g) in TagEditor.

The verifier works 99% OK for me, and the few cases, where I cant figure out what it means, it is complaining about something around the end of, or even past the end of the segment. Or it's complaining about the order for instance, because I had to reshuffle the tags. Or - and that's most often - about missing blanks before or after some tag. I hate to have to do it, but it saves a lot of trouble I guess for those who get the result through DTP for instance.

So ... to come back to my question - what does the verifier say?

Regards

Vito

The verifier says "At least one tag is missing in the target segment. Would you still like to continue?"
But there are no missing tags... ?-(

Italy
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
what also happens, is... Aug 23, 2007

...when the message pops up, I copy and paste the tags manually from source to target, even if everything looks alright.

The option "complete tag text" is on, so I can see the whole content of the tags (I hope).

But when I copy them into target, they suddenly shrink and look like if I had chosen "no tag text". But only in target! Source still looks like before, full tag text. What is happening?? (After this, TagEditor is happy to close and save and the message does not pop up anymore.)

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
If you copy the source and close Aug 23, 2007

the segment and its still missing something ... then theres something quite fishy about the occasion ... If not ...

Is it all the segments - or just some of them? Anything special (like special characters or similar) in strange segments?

Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:58
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Change view Aug 23, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

the segment and its still missing something ... then theres something quite fishy about the occasion ... If not ...

Is it all the segments - or just some of them? Anything special (like special characters or similar) in strange segments?

Hi,

I may be thinking too simple.

If it says something is missing it is probably something is missing.
I know you already know more than me yet wanted to remind.

Go to view
Chose tag text to partial.
Your tags will show in short form.
Full form tag text view makes it more complex. Short forms are easy to se and follow.

When you are at that segment, correct it and continue.

Good luck!

Nizam

[Edited at 2007-08-23 21:19]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Nicole uses "complete tag text" Aug 24, 2007

Go to view
Chose tag text to partial.
Your tags will show in short form.

...so she definitely does see, whats / whats not there.

Alice would say "Curiouser and curiouser"...

[Edited at 2007-08-24 04:32]

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Shrinking is normal - TE bug Aug 24, 2007

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the tags you copied in the target text. For some reason, Tag Editor likes to mininise tags when you copy them into the target segment. Just click on the segment and choose Complete Tag Text again, they'll show up just fine.

In my experience, if TE says something is missing, there is something missing, but sometimes it's really hard to find! I see you are translating Italian and German - could it be that TE treats characters with accents as tags? é, á, and such?

Just a suggestion!
Margreet

Italy
Member (2005)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good morning! Aug 24, 2007

Hello everybody and thank you for your answers.

The thing is: I am not trying to find out *what* is missing, because I am sure that everything is there.

Why would I be able to close the segment the first time, while translating? Then, when I come back to the same segment(s) later, to proofread them, suddenly tags are missing! This is what I am trying to understand.

What makes it more difficult: it happens only on some segments, sometimes 40 or 50 nearly in a row, and then it stops, and then again on one segment... and I can not see why.

?-(

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor 8.0.0.822 wrongly advises: at least one tag is missing…

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums