Gabriele Hase
Gabriele Hase  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 21:47
English to German
+ ...
Aug 23, 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I have several TMs that are above 220 MB. When I want to import more segments, I receive the above message. On my C drive I have used only 28 of a total of 149 GB, so I think the problem is not my computer but Trados-related. Can someone help to alleviate this problem please? Thank you, Gabriele

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Really huge TM's out there... Aug 23, 2007

If this is of any help, from a developer's viewpoint this message is indicative of low memory issues (heap space which is being used for performing the commands). Therefore it has nothing to do with the disk storage, in full agreement with your free disk space report. A reboot might help at first, but not for good. Are there any TM size limits set by SDL? Do you have plenty of RAM in your system?

Gabriele Hase
Gabriele Hase  Identity Verified
South Africa
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not enough storage space in 'Trados Workbench' Aug 24, 2007

Boris Kimel wrote:

If this is of any help, from a developer's viewpoint this message is indicative of low memory issues (heap space which is being used for performing the commands). Therefore it has nothing to do with the disk storage, in full agreement with your free disk space report. A reboot might help at first, but not for good. Are there any TM size limits set by SDL? Do you have plenty of RAM in your system?

Yes, I have 1,00 GB RAM. Following your advice to reboot, it seems to work fine for the moment. I do not think there are any TM size limits set by SDL; read on the Internet that other translators are working with TMs in the region of 500 MB. Thanks, Gabriele

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Size limit for TM Aug 24, 2007

With SDL Trados 2006 I was NOT able to open TM of rouhly 850.000 Entries (>230MB).
Now with SDL Trados 2007 it works again.

An official limit does not exist.

PC parameter (with this machine I wasn't able to open such big TMs): Pentium D950 3,4GHz, 4 (!!) GB RAM, 500 GB HDD.

Jerzy

Robert Schlarb
Robert Schlarb  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Windows virtual memory? Sep 3, 2007

I have encountered this problem too while working with large Word files. My impression is that it is caused by the change history stored by Word to undo previous commands (the Workbench macro for opening and storing segments triggers a large sequence of commands for each segment). Usually the solution is to store the document and restart Word (deleting the command history).
Another solution might be to redimension the virtual memory file under the Windows system settings (control panel > s
... See more
I have encountered this problem too while working with large Word files. My impression is that it is caused by the change history stored by Word to undo previous commands (the Workbench macro for opening and storing segments triggers a large sequence of commands for each segment). Usually the solution is to store the document and restart Word (deleting the command history).
Another solution might be to redimension the virtual memory file under the Windows system settings (control panel > system > advanced > performance >advanced).
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Increasing virtual memory does not help Sep 3, 2007

My system has 4 GB RAM and 10 GB swap file, fixed size - even with those parameter SDL Trados 2006 was not able to open my big TMs.
But again, 2007 seems not to have this limitation.

Jerzy

katrelnada
katrelnada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Did you find a solution? Apr 26, 2008

Hi,

I.m using Windows XP & Trados 2007, and I just encountered that problem. I took home on a flash disk a TM of about 250000 TUs (126MB) and tried to import it to my Trados Freelance version (WB version 8). In the middle of the process of importing, it juststopped & gave me the number 8 error message : not enough storage to perform that command. I noticed it imported about 214000 TUs (out of 250000) and when I checked for reorganization, it was set at yes (need reorganization) alth
... See more
Hi,

I.m using Windows XP & Trados 2007, and I just encountered that problem. I took home on a flash disk a TM of about 250000 TUs (126MB) and tried to import it to my Trados Freelance version (WB version 8). In the middle of the process of importing, it juststopped & gave me the number 8 error message : not enough storage to perform that command. I noticed it imported about 214000 TUs (out of 250000) and when I checked for reorganization, it was set at yes (need reorganization) although I indicated at the beginning of the import that it's a big file and needs reorganizing.

Now after re-reorganizing, it's ok but it's not saving my new translations and that's a concern. Can I re-import again to have the complete TM? If so, should I use the options merge or overwrite taking into consideration that multiple translations are allowded?
& Why is it not saving my new translations? I know that later on I can clean up the file using the clean function and through update the TM, but is it even gonna work since the TM is not taking in the new translations?

Help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Workbench - (8): 'Not enough storage space to process this command'

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »