How to translate the hyperlinks with Trados (Mod: How to handle the table of contents in Word)
Thread poster: Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:35
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 25, 2007

I am translating a word doc with Trados. The document starts with a list of section titles that are hyperlinked to the rest of the text.
Do I translate these in the list on top of the document or somewhere else? I am a little worried to touch them...
I can not access the hyperlinked section title segments with Trados. It bleeps and that means no:)

In the segments where these hyperlinks are referred to, the hyperlinks are coded of course, until now I have only copied thes
... See more
I am translating a word doc with Trados. The document starts with a list of section titles that are hyperlinked to the rest of the text.
Do I translate these in the list on top of the document or somewhere else? I am a little worried to touch them...
I can not access the hyperlinked section title segments with Trados. It bleeps and that means no:)

In the segments where these hyperlinks are referred to, the hyperlinks are coded of course, until now I have only copied these, to figure out later how to deal with them.

[Edited at 2007-08-25 18:58]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-25 19:38]
Collapse

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
update after clean up Aug 25, 2007

Seems to me to be a kind of index to the titles of the chapters of your document.

If the clients requested a cleaned up version of your translation, you can update it at the end, when you have finished the whole translation and cleaned it up, simply by clicking on the table, word refreshes the table according to the titles of each chapter and the corresponding pages.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Aug 25, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum to post topics related to SDLX and/or Trados.

Please note the information given when posting a new topic in this forum:

There is a dedicated support forum for each of the main CAT tools
Use the relevant forum if applicable:

SDL Trados Support
Déjà Vu Support
Wordfast Support
Transit Support
CATALYST Support

Thanks for bearing this in mind in the future.

Regarding the issue you described, are you referring to a table of contents created using the corresponding Word function? As you already found out, there is no translatable content in the ToC: simply translate the corresponding headings, as already suggested.

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2007-08-25 19:37]

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, a table of contents. Aug 25, 2007

Sorry for my elaborate explanation, it is indeed this simple.

Thanks Tjasa and Ralf!

[Edited at 2007-08-25 20:00]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
+ Aug 25, 2007

When I hit upon a source with Contents table, I throw it away, translate, and then add the contents back in, just before I deliver the cleaned up version.

This way a lot of so-called "field" issues can be handled. The exception for now is still the (sigh) footnotes.

Lincoln Silveira (X)
Lincoln Silveira (X)
Brazil
Local time: 15:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just did one of these ToC'ed sources Aug 26, 2007

Hello Marlou,

I happen to have just tackled one of these files where a ToC links to several references, or sections, in the document.

Here is my approach that I would like to share with you: simply leave the ToC untouched and proceed to translate the rest. The ToC is essentially a Word field with references to stylized headers further down in the document. After you translate everything and are happy with the outcome, simply go back, right-click the ToC and have Word do
... See more
Hello Marlou,

I happen to have just tackled one of these files where a ToC links to several references, or sections, in the document.

Here is my approach that I would like to share with you: simply leave the ToC untouched and proceed to translate the rest. The ToC is essentially a Word field with references to stylized headers further down in the document. After you translate everything and are happy with the outcome, simply go back, right-click the ToC and have Word do a full update on the ToC field. This way the ToC will reflect the previous translation of the header/title of each section. Pay attention to paragraph formatting, as this method seems to discard line and paragraph spacing. You may have to reset these settings afterwards, however with little hassle.

I started off translation with Wordfast and noticed long ago that it does not handle ToC fields very well. After making a move to TRADOS, I realized that it does not like ToC's very much either.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Lincoln

P.S.: oopss... forgive the verbose, redundant explanation... should have read the other posts in this thread ... :/

[Edited at 2007-08-26 04:32]
Collapse

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tips! Aug 26, 2007

After finishing the translation I will carefully look at and try out your suggestions. Don't want to do this in a hurry! But obviously there are ways to methodically approach this, thanks Vito and Lincoln, you were not redundant:)

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Aug 28, 2007

"Problem" solved:) It works as you suggested.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
a note added in proof Aug 29, 2007

Marlou Franken wrote:

"Problem" solved:) It works as you suggested.

another sticky subject, Enrico...

Marlou Franken
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another solution Sep 2, 2007

After following the instructions in the Trados Help section, titled:
"Don't use ; as list separator in style name. (error 50016)", (replacing, in the control panel of Windows, the ; character for the list separator with a comma) I was then able to translate the table of contents in Word using Trados just fine.

[Edited at 2007-09-02 14:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate the hyperlinks with Trados (Mod: How to handle the table of contents in Word)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »