Thread poster: texjax DDS PhD

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 25, 2007

Dear Trados-gurus,
In spite of my long time Tradosphobia I decided to take a leap into the new millennium and I finally bought Trados a few days ago. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the new toy...and I need you kind help already!
The problem: I cannot shrink/expand segments.
I have a Sony Vaio laptop and I found out -after multiple and exhausting trial and error attempts and browsing through the site- that some shortcuts are different than the ones reported in the user guide (i.e. set/close next Open/Get is Fn+Alt+P instead of Alt+ [+], and copy source is Fn+Alt+M).
I researched the past forums extensively but I cannot find an alternative to Ctrl+Alt+Page Down/Up (which, of course, doesn't work).
Can somebody please help with a simple (bear in mind that I am still slightly Trados-challenged) and effective solution?
Thank you in advance!

[Edited at 2007-08-25 20:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:41
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Make it simple.... Aug 25, 2007

I assume you are talking about the word interface / use.

First of all, I am surprised that on the second day of owning TRADOS already need to expand/shrink segments. First of all, I find it sharp (took me months to realize this is possible) and second I find it strange ... Excuse me, please, no offense meant - but why?!

How to solve the mystery of non existing ctrl+shift+somethings...

one thing is the TRADOS menu entries: can you shrink/expand using the TRADOS menu entries? I would be very much surprised if you could not.

A different thing is the accelerators - just a hint, you mention Ctrl+Alt+Page Down/Up, and my menu entry says (in German) Ctrl+Alt+Image Down/Up: all those keyboard combinations may happen to be already occupied by other software, so TRADOS shortcuts do not kick in (and possibly something else is happening)...

[Edited at 2007-08-25 23:00]

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Vito Aug 26, 2007

Ciao Vito, nice to meet you and thanks for your reply.

Now, to answer to your question:

Excuse me, please, no offense meant - but why?!

This is the story. Today I did my first "official" translation with Trados, everything went fine but I found a few short sentences that the program automatically cut (segmented), while my need was to have a single segment containing the whole sentence. Example: a segment consisted of the last single word of the sentence. The same word, in the Italian version, has to be the first one. The last segment, therefore, will have to be empty (but, as far as I know, the program doesn’t allow it and I had to insert a full stop just to write something…). This is why I needed to expand the segment (I hope I’m clear and using the proper terminology here).

one thing is the TRADOS menu entries: can you shrink/expand using the TRADOS menu entries? I would be very much surprised if you could not.

I tried. I might be doing something wrong here, but it doesn't seem to work. I open a new segment, go to the menu >Expand Segment Alt+Ctrl+Page Down…and I just hear the “bip” that alerts of something wrong, nothing else happens.
After those attempts I also tried to find a shortcut on the basis of this post of Jerzy: http://www.proz.com/post/567290#567290 but unsuccessfully so I ended up posting a request for help from you guys…
Maybe the solution is simpler than I think, but I don't seem to able to find one.

B.

[Edited at 2007-08-26 01:18]

Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Vito, problem solved!! Aug 26, 2007

I didn't give up...I read again your post and had an idea:

Vito Smolej wrote:
Ctrl+Alt+Image Down/Up: all those keyboard combinations may happen to be already occupied by other software, so TRADOS shortcuts do not kick in (and possibly something else is happening)...

That was the problem! Wordfast uses the same combination! I uninstalled WF and voilà, now everything works perfectly fine.
Thanks a lot guru-Vito, I owe you one!

B.

[Edited at 2007-08-26 01:17]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with shrink/expand segment function

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs