Mobile menu

Is it possible to install one copy of Trados on several computers?
Thread poster: Evgueni Terekhin

Evgueni Terekhin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 29, 2007

I would like to but Trados and install it on 2-3 computers. Is it possible?

Thank you for your answers,
Evgueni

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:54
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nope... Aug 29, 2007

I think it's not possible. In that case you should buy 3 licences (I'm assuming you want to install Trados for other people in the same office). BUT in case you want to use it on your home computer, your laptop and your office computer, then I think there's something called a "floating licence" (check the Trados website).

But in short... even having Trados in 10 computers, if you have 1 licence you can use it in only one at a time (or should).

Rodrigo

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK you were allowed to install it on ie desktop and laptop Aug 29, 2007

but this were still only ONE licence, so you could use either desktop or laptop.

Ask the sales representative, as this is the only one who can tell you exactly what you need.

Jerzy

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Trados in network environment Aug 29, 2007

AFAIK, you cannot install multiple SDL Trados Freelance 2006/2007 copies in the office network environment even if you have a licence for each of them. Only one copy will be fully functional. The remaining copies will run in demo mode only. To use multiple copies on the network, you will need to buy SDL Trados Professional.

Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:54
Finnish to English
Two Aug 29, 2007

Their rep recently told me I could install it on a maximum of two unnetworked computers at home under the same licence

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 03:54
English to Portuguese
You can install in 2 computers Aug 29, 2007

Hi

You can install it on two computers. The flexible licence allows that. Just install in PC #1, register the Flexible Licence using SDL Licence Manager. Do the same in PC #2. You'll see that the licence is accepted. If you try to do that on a 3rd computer the Manager will not accept it.

If you are installing Trados in a Virtual Machine on the same PC, it is considered as another separate PC (which, in fact, it is...).

Just do not forget to "Return" the licence (using the Manager) before uninstalling Trados at any machine. Failing to do that makes the license server thinks that the installation is still there, and it will refuse any other attempt. The remedy if that happens is to get in contact with SDL and ask them to "free" the licence on hold by the license server.

Edric

[Edited at 2007-08-29 13:26]

Evgueni Terekhin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 30, 2007

Thank you very much!
Evgueni

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't see why not, but... Aug 30, 2007

Evgueni Terekhin wrote:
I would like to but Trados and install it on 2-3 computers. Is it possible?

I'm sure it must be possible, but the question is whether it is legal to do so.

As for installing on networked computers, wouldn't it be possible to block the Tradoses from seeing each other by simply blocking Trados from accessing the network?

As for virtual machines... I can recommend Innotek VirtualBox:
http://www.virtualbox.org/
...although I have yet to figure out how to make it "see" my host OS or any other storage media (apart from the CD).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to install one copy of Trados on several computers?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs