Thread poster: Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 00:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 30, 2007

Hi everyone, normally I translate using Trados or Wordfast, but I have now been asked to use SDLX. I have some problems with the TM.
I received two files, the document that needs to be translated and the TM. I opened the document in SDL Edit by clicking on it. I selected open translation memory and it seems to open. But - and that is my problem- I see no matches whatsoever in the TM-results field. Even when I accept a translation and go back to it, it is not there. Who knows what I am doin
... See more
Hi everyone, normally I translate using Trados or Wordfast, but I have now been asked to use SDLX. I have some problems with the TM.
I received two files, the document that needs to be translated and the TM. I opened the document in SDL Edit by clicking on it. I selected open translation memory and it seems to open. But - and that is my problem- I see no matches whatsoever in the TM-results field. Even when I accept a translation and go back to it, it is not there. Who knows what I am doing wrong?
I am using the latest version( Build 7011)
Collapse

Estelle Chauvet
Estelle Chauvet
France
English to French
Automation menu Aug 30, 2007

Hi Wilmer,

Maybe you should go to Tools > Options > Automation and check the Automatic TM Lookup box. Or try pressing F8.

Hope this helps!
Estelle

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some more info Aug 30, 2007

Here is some more information, the TM does work when I do a context search on a word. However, when I translate a new sentence and press enter (it becomes blue) and then do a search on this word, it is not there.

Estelle Chauvet
Estelle Chauvet
France
English to French
Automatic TM Update Aug 30, 2007

In this case, this might be because the Automatic TM Update option is not checked (under Tools > Options > Automation). In SDLX, the TM is not automatically updated with your new translation, unlike Trados. You have to check this option to update the TM each time you validate a segment.

[Modifié le 2007-08-30 12:46]

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 30, 2007

Estelle Chauvet wrote:

Hi Wilmer,

Maybe you should go to Tools > Options > Automation and check the Automatic TM Lookup box. Or try pressing F8.

Hope this helps!
Estelle

Thank you Estelle.
I tried Automation but it was already selected. F8 was hijacked by another program, but after fixing that it worked. Any idea why it doesn't work automatically? Or is that just not SDLX-style?

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Update TM Aug 30, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

However, when I translate a new sentence and press enter (it becomes blue) and then do a search on this word, it is not there.

I am not quite sure, but I think maybe it is because the TM needs to be updated before new entries are shown.

Try the following:
After pressing enter, click on "Update TM" (in the tool bar, quite on the right side). Then do a search - maybe it is then there.

Hope this helps,

Katrin

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
SDLX is a bit different Aug 30, 2007

Though you do not see the segment in the TM yet, matches later in the document are automatically applied: 100% are marked orange, less than 100 green. So just keep going, translation will be finnished earlier than you think.
Cheers
Heinrich

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Aug 30, 2007

Thanks Katrin and Heinrich, I think I'm beginning to understand SDLX now. It's different, but in a good way, and fast as well.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You'll find answers at Yahoo groups Aug 30, 2007

For any troubles possibly ahead I would suggest you registrate with the SDLX-group at Yahoo. At least I get always help very soon and in a frienly manner there.
Enjoy SDLX!
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »