New to Trados 2007 - Help!
Thread poster: xxxPMMeddings
xxxPMMeddings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2007

I've just bought SDL Trados 2007 (thank you TGB) and I have to say that the interface and the running of the software is absolutely gorgeous.

However, at this stage I really haven't learned how to use it, and I am afraid that I am on the verge of wrecking my carbon footprint by actually printing off all the various user guides (which is defeating the object, I know).

I was wondering if there were any training sessions available for new users.

Also, a couple of questions about conversion from other packages:

- can I build up a Translation Memory in Trados from the .tmx files I've compiled from projects I've translated with OmegaT?

- The MultiTerm module that pops up in Synergy appears only to be a demo version. What do I have to do to convert it to the full package?

If anyone can provide some wisdom on this I would be very grateful. I know it's going to take me a few weeks to get accustomed with this software but I would appreciate any help.

Cheers

PHIL M

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:31
German to French
TM from tmx Aug 31, 2007

Hi Phil,

I can only answer one of your questions :

PMMeddings wrote:

- can I build up a Translation Memory in Trados from the .tmx files I've compiled from projects I've translated with OmegaT?

Yes, simply create a new, empty TM in Trados Workbench (File > New), and then import your tmx file(s) into this empty TM (File > Import).

HTH,
Sylvain

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Multiterm is a separate product Aug 31, 2007

Hi Phil,

Multiterm is a whold different product and thus it should appear in your Start program in a separate folder (SDL International/SDL Lultiterm 2007). If not, then maybe you did not download all the packages from the Web site or you did not install it?

Regarding the trainings, SDL regularly organizes training conferences (by phone), so I think you should check their Web site. There are often trainings proposed via Proz as well, but I'm not sure there is any planned soon on SDLX.

Hope it helps, cheers,

Annelise

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How to climb the learning curve Aug 31, 2007

Forget for now MultiTerm (i.e. glossary side of the story) and get acquianted with Translator's Workbench and with TagEditor. TagEditor will probably be the easiest (!) for you, if you are coming from OmegaT.

I would for starters just create One single TM with TMX files from OmegaT and then start translating one of the files thats been already translated (!) . The best bet would be, as OI already said, not to start with TWB + Word but with TWB plus TagEditor - you'll feel more at home with TagEditor. Eventually its the same story with Word, it's just two different clients (Word vs TagEditor) using the services of the same server (TWB).

And , dont hesitate to ask (g).

regards

Vito

xxxPMMeddings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:31
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks folks! Aug 31, 2007

Thanks thats quite a few tips. I'll have another go tonight.
Cheers

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:31
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Trados tutorial available Sep 4, 2007

Excellent tutorial by Jerzy Csopik available in pdf for download in this forum under topic "I need a good TRADOS tutorial" of August 16 p.2. Don't bother with SDL support.
Best regards,
Sandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Trados 2007 - Help!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs