https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/82799-how_to_assign_non_translatable_text_in_word_for_import_into_tageditor_80.html

How to assign non-translatable text in Word for import into TagEditor 8.0?
Thread poster: Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
English to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2007

Dear ProZianers!

Settings: Win XP SP2, SDL Trados Freelance 8.0.0.820 (Build 820), Office 2003 SP2 (11.8134.8132)

I have a word file I want to process in TagEditor. There are some tables in the file which denominate illustrations. The client wanted me to setup tables with the lefthand side containing the source language and the righthand side containing the target language. So I designed the tables. I assigned the Word st
... See more
Dear ProZianers!

Settings: Win XP SP2, SDL Trados Freelance 8.0.0.820 (Build 820), Office 2003 SP2 (11.8134.8132)

I have a word file I want to process in TagEditor. There are some tables in the file which denominate illustrations. The client wanted me to setup tables with the lefthand side containing the source language and the righthand side containing the target language. So I designed the tables. I assigned the Word style DO_NOT_TRANSLATE to the left column and filled in the source text into the target column with the Standard style assigned. So I thought, TagEditor would jump over the cells in the left hand and call up the right hand. Unfortunately, I did not as expected and addressed both cells, the left and the right ones.

Is there another way to circumvent the lefthand sight of the table cells?

[Edited at 2007-09-02 15:19]
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Copy and paste? Sep 2, 2007

I think the easiest way would be to copy the document to another file, delete the first column, translate it with TagEditor and copy the translated column to the original document.

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Elegant approach Sep 2, 2007

Dear Jabberwock,

I very much appreciate your quick reply. Certainly, it is the easiest way to solve the problem. The thing is, the tables are running over 4-5 pages and it is not convenient to copy and paste them. I would like to have everything in one (big...) file and I'd rather abstain from creating several subfiles and jerking around with them.

Additionally, I remember this DO_NOT_TRANSLATE approach and there must be some similar gadget in TagEditor to force the app
... See more
Dear Jabberwock,

I very much appreciate your quick reply. Certainly, it is the easiest way to solve the problem. The thing is, the tables are running over 4-5 pages and it is not convenient to copy and paste them. I would like to have everything in one (big...) file and I'd rather abstain from creating several subfiles and jerking around with them.

Additionally, I remember this DO_NOT_TRANSLATE approach and there must be some similar gadget in TagEditor to force the application to ignore predefined tags, although they contain translatable text.
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Should work with the DO_NOT_TRANSLATE style, I think Sep 2, 2007

I haven't tried; but the Word importing into TagEditor is controlled by the file
Program_Files-SDL_International-T2006_FL-TT-Word_1_0_0_0.xml (I replaced backslashes with dashes in the path) and lines 110 + of this file seem to indicate it should work.

HTH
Antonin

[Edited at 2007-09-02 18:45]

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
rtf Sep 2, 2007

another way

As far as I know, skipping translation by paragraph styles only works for rtf.
If you save your doc as rtf, you can define the paragraph style in use (which in a table is probably absent though) as non-translatable in the TM's setup.
You could as well apply the tw4winexternal style to make the Workbench skip it. (Again: rtf. This style needn't be defined as non-translatable.)

All in all, Jabberwock's approach might be the fastest way of getting the thing done.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Easy way Sep 2, 2007

First make sure, Trados styles are present in the document.
(I mean the especially the tw4winexternal)
If they aren't, press ALT+F8, put "sa" in the macro name field, select the macro "sAddTagStyles" and let it run. This will ad the Trados styles to the document.
Now set the tables as required, than select the left column and assign "tw4external" style to the text in the table - this will certainly be skipped by Tageditor.

Another way: make the text hidden. This is
... See more
First make sure, Trados styles are present in the document.
(I mean the especially the tw4winexternal)
If they aren't, press ALT+F8, put "sa" in the macro name field, select the macro "sAddTagStyles" and let it run. This will ad the Trados styles to the document.
Now set the tables as required, than select the left column and assign "tw4external" style to the text in the table - this will certainly be skipped by Tageditor.

Another way: make the text hidden. This is the most simple solution I know, which works for me perfectly well, if I do hide the text not using any styles. Just select the text which shall not be translated and make it hidden via character format option.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to assign non-translatable text in Word for import into TagEditor 8.0?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »