Mobile menu

What to do if you are unhappy with SDL support?
Thread poster: Natalia Elo

Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:19
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 4, 2007

Dear colleagues,

The situation: I bought a notebook a couple of weeks ago. I intend to use my desktop when I am at home and the notebook, when I'm away (or just want to get out of the house).

After examining this forum thread:
http://www.proz.com/post/655508#655508

and in particular this entry in the SDL Online Support Center database

http://sdl.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sdl.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=2129&p_created=1176197296
(you have to be logged in to view it)

Question
Will SDL Trados 2007 Freelance work on 2 PCs?
Answer
Yes the activation code that you get from your Account area can be used on 2 PCs. Just install the software on both PCs and use the same activation code. There is no need to return the license to enable it to work on 2 PCs.

However, if the 2 PCs that have the activation code are working on the same LAN it will not work. The activation code will only work on 2 seperate PCs that are NOT on the same network.

.. I installed Trados on the notebook. The activation however doesn't work. I get an error message and the program is still running in trial mode.

I contacted support and they told me that I'm supposed to deactivate the code every time I'm leaving my desktop and activate it on the notebook, and vica versa. The problem is that I didn't actually find any "deactivation button", the only logicall available option in the License Manager dialog is View activated licenses-> Return license. I have asked Support at least three times now, why they write in their database, that there is no need to return the license to enable it work on 2 PCs., but they seem simply to ignore this question. I get replies, but not to this question.

So, first of all, I would like to ask, if anybody succeeded in having one license on a desktop AND on a notebook at the same time. Secondly I would appreciate your opinion on this situation. Am I wrong?

It seems to me, that once I've got one support person working with me, I can't switch to any other.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Natalia

P.S. I was obviously so frustrated last night that I forgot to address ProZians properly

[Edited at 2007-09-05 08:35]

Direct link Reply with quote

elherrera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:19
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Ditto on support! Sep 4, 2007

Natalia, I haven't tried to do this but have been thinking to do it in the future. In the meantime I keep only one instance of SDL on my laptop which I use both home and away. Yes, by all means get out sometime - for your sanity and health. Still, I too would like to see if this has been done.

In my past experience with SDL support I have also asked a number of questions - I've had to ask the same ones multiple times - but get answers to other aspects of the problems. License activations, downloads and new versions were a big part of it. Eventually, after much back and forth over days or weeks things got sorted out. I got different representatives but of course they know each other. They did stay on task with each new issue until the company felt it was good enough. The next time I would get a new representative (in the same office of course).

I did get the feeling some of my questions were just outright being ignored. On the other hand things did slowly get worked out - but I think a lot of that was through working past the knowledge base and concentrating on the reps in person and keeping on them.

After a number of live contacts I think they may be told to cut it short. At least I got that feeling. In all, I think their overall level of customer service support quality lags far behind other companies.

So, you are not wrong. I hope you get this successfully resolved. Good luck.

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I have it enabled on two computers Sep 5, 2007

Hi Natalia,

Well after starting on a desktop computer, I purchased a laptop this year, and I have a version of SDL Trados 7 running on them both since then.
Thare was just one problem at start: after working for one day, Trados suddenly stopped working, with an error stating that there was an activation problem (again!). I solved the problem by uninstalling the whole application, then re-installin it again. Since then, and luckily enough, I haven't got any more problems.
I hope it helps,
Good luck!

Annelise

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I ask to the Trados users Yahoo group Sep 5, 2007

Dear Natalia.

Sorry to read you find yourself in this annoying situation.

Whenever I have any Trados-related issue, I tend to ask to the Trados users Yahoo group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/. There's a lot of knowledgeable and happy-to-help people there.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jerónimo

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 5, 2007

I want to thank all, who have answered so far.

Jerónimo, thank you indeed, I wonder how this simple and genious idea didn't come to my mind so far. I think, I even might be a member of this mailing list.

Best regards,
Natalia

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Résumé Sep 9, 2007

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to post a sort of résumé on how I did it, just in case someone might need it in the future.

1. I returned the license under 'My account' at sdl.com
2. Downloaded a new license file to the desktop computer.
3. Copied the file to the notebook.
4. Activated the code on the desktop computer.
5. Activated the code on the notebook.

Everything worked - hallelujah!

By the way, I did not uninstall the software as Annelise suggested, simply because I didn't find how to do it, i.e. I didn't find anything like 'Uninstall SDL Trados' button.

There is still one thing I don't know - I'm not sure, whether I should send a link to this thread to Trados support or not.

Best regards,
Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do if you are unhappy with SDL support?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs