Impossible to register SDLTrados '06 reinstallation
Thread poster: Yolanda Bello

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2007

My laptop (with XP system) crashed this tuesday and I had upgraded last May (via download) from Trados 6.5 to SDL Trados 2006.
When restoring the hard disk, all information and installed programs were erased.

I am now trying to install SDL Trados 2006 in a new PC (HP) with Windows vista but during the installation from CDs I am never prompted to introduce the Activation code that used when downloading the upgrade the first time.

I need to register the software urgently so as to start working again.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Will upgrading to SDL Trados 2007 be the fastest 'solution'?

MTIA,

Yolanda

[Edited at 2007-09-06 05:23]

[Edited at 2007-09-06 05:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:02
English to German
+ ...
License file Sep 6, 2007

Hi Yolanda,

I am now trying to install SDL Trados 2006 in a new PC (HP) with Windows vista but during the installation from CDs I am never prompted to introduce the Activation code that used when downloading the upgrade the first time.

That's because SDL Trados 2006 did not use an activation code, but a soft license.
You will need to generate a new license file from your customer center.

OTOH you may want to check this forum for problems affecting SDL Trados 2006 under Vista; since I have been sticking to Windows XP (and will do so for the foreseeable future), I haven't followed this.

HTH, Ralf

Yolanda Bello  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It did use an activation code Sep 7, 2007

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to reinstall SDL Trados 2006 in my laptop once again now that I have it back from the repair shop.
Obviously I will be working with XP and Office 2003.

As for my new HP and Vista software, I will use them for the translation I have started already and to get acquainted with Vista.

Seems like upgrading to the latest SDL Trados is far from a good idea. I have read several posts and the Knowledge Base in the SDL site. It is a logistic nightmare.....

Regards from Mexico City,

Y

Dr. Lausberg de Morales  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 09:02
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Upgrading to Trados 2007 is not a good idea... Sep 17, 2007

... that´s right. I did it and it turned out to be a nightmare. I have made very good experiences with Trados 2006 and MS Word 2000 and also with Word 2003, both on XP. Trados 2006 and Word 2000 also works fine on Vista. I have tried Trados 2007 on a Vista system and ended up without any activation keys after two computer crashes provoked by Trados. Support from SDL was zero, no answers to my mails, and on the phone they just told me they would not help me because I did not buy a service agreement. So if you upgrade, please be aware that SDL will help you with ZERO support.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to register SDLTrados '06 reinstallation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums