Using .txt TMs in Trados
Thread poster: Jennina (X)
Jennina (X)
Jennina (X)
Local time: 11:04
Italian to Finnish
+ ...
Sep 7, 2007

Is there a straightforward way to import and export TM text files in Trados?
I've tried it by following the directions in a file formats guide, but something went wrong...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:04
English to German
+ ...
File - Import / File - Export Sep 7, 2007

Hi Jennina,
The commands for importing or exporting TMs are in the File menu.

But I'm not sure whether you really want to import/export files, or translate .txt files. Can you please clarify? Also, it would help if you could specify the file formats and software versions you're using, as requested on the new topic window.

Best regards,
Ralf

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Sep 7, 2007

Workbench -> File -> Import/Export -> Ok -> Open.......

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I'm not sure either... Sep 7, 2007

But I'm not sure whether you really want to import/export files, or translate .txt files.

The files have to have a certain internal structure to be recognized and accepted as TM input. Put simply, they need to be created by an export from TM - I have yet to see a txt file, written by hand, that TRADOS has accepted.

Maybe this is what the manuals forgot to mention (or assumed one would know).

Regards

Vito

Jennina (X)
Jennina (X)
Italian to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, to import a bilingual translation memory file (txt) Sep 7, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

But I'm not sure whether you really want to import/export files, or translate .txt files. Can you please clarify?

I wanted to apply the TM file when translating a power point file in SDLX Trados 2007, and to update and export the TM in txt format again. The tricky part for me is the conversion. Sorry for not explaining properly before.

[Edited at 2007-09-07 14:03]

[Edited at 2007-09-07 20:55]

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Use Olifant or Xbench Sep 8, 2007

As Vito said, TWB won't accept a regular text file of the source -> tabulation -> target type. It needs all sorts of tags as well.
If you don't know how to add these tags, one easy way is to use the freeware utilities Olifant or ApSic Xbench to convert your text-tabulated file (if that's what it is) into TMX which TWB (and any other CAT tool) will accept. ApSic is a particularly versatile tool as you can also convert Wordfast, Star, SDLX and IBM TM translation memories directly into TMX (w
... See more
As Vito said, TWB won't accept a regular text file of the source -> tabulation -> target type. It needs all sorts of tags as well.
If you don't know how to add these tags, one easy way is to use the freeware utilities Olifant or ApSic Xbench to convert your text-tabulated file (if that's what it is) into TMX which TWB (and any other CAT tool) will accept. ApSic is a particularly versatile tool as you can also convert Wordfast, Star, SDLX and IBM TM translation memories directly into TMX (without converting them first to text-tabulated.

Regards,
David
Collapse

Jennina (X)
Jennina (X)
Italian to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help everyone! Sep 8, 2007

I will look into the conversion tools.

Best regards

Jennina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using .txt TMs in Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »