Upgrading from Trados 6.5 to SDL2007... what a disaster
Thread poster: Channa Montijn

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:57
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 9, 2007

I just spent my weekend trying to get Trados 8.0 (build 822)working on the same pc as Trados 6.5 Freelance (build 441).
I use Windows XP (SP2) and Office 2003. According to the manual and the info both versions should work on the same pc after registering the version you work with that day.
When installing I closed all programs (including Norton Internet Security), installation worked fine, product license... no problems. However when using Trados 8.0 in combination with my preinstalled Multiterm IX and Tageditor (version 8.0) the problems begin: TW4WIN.exe and the WB closes and starts up again. This happens every 2 or 3 segments...
Right, I close Trados 8.0 and MT IX and register Trados 6.5: when registering I see in the small black window this message: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\gacutil.exe is not recognized or found (actually it is in Dutch).
I checked the .Net versions and this version is installed.
However I can use Trados 6.5 and the corresponding TE version BUT: the plug-ins have gone (no spell checker etc)... so I can not use that version as well.
After a full system recovery Trados 6.5 works fine again including the plug-ins and without the register-message.
SDL2007 has been removed.
BTW: I exported the TM of version 6.5 and imported the export into version 8.0 so this should not be the cause of these problems.

I contacted SDL of course, no response yet.
I know that many of us encounter problems with SDL2007 but I just wanted to be extra specific hoping someone has found a solution (besides the one mentioned by our Finnish colleague... that does not work either unfortunately).

Best regards

[Edited at 2007-09-09 11:04]

[Edited at 2007-09-09 11:15]

[Edited at 2007-09-09 15:42]

Direct link Reply with quote
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 18:57
English to Portuguese
Uninstall/clean it all and install just Trados 2007 Sep 9, 2007

When such things happen, IMHO, you'd be better off doing the installation from scratch AFTER cleaning up your PC from all Trados AND Office files. No use trying to update .Net Framework, Visual C++ runtime, Office fixes, whatever. You'll end frustrated, mad at the software, lagging behind your job schedule.

I agree with people using Office 2003 instead of Office 2007 because of Trados 2007 performance with the latter, but I really don't think why one should use Trados 2006 AND Trados 2007. Keep Office 2003 AND Trados 2007.

I really suggest you to do that: start from scratch. I mean getting rid of all things Trados AND Office:
-make a backup of your files, documents (DOCs, TTXs, etc.);
-uninstall Trados and MS Office. Uninstall them COMPLETELY;
-find all Trados and Office-related folders and delete them too (they are in Common Files, Application Data, etc,.), because there are configuration files, DOT files, etc. that could be used by the next, clean installation, BUT BACK THEM UP;
-restart the PC;
-install MS Office 2003. Apply all updates via MS Update;
-restart the machine (using Vista would not be necessary, but in XP you never know...);
-disable you security application (AV, etc., not absolutely needed, but worth it);
-install SDL 2007 fully and register its components ("Register SDL Trados 2007" in the Start/ProgramFiles/SDL...." to register the objects in the Operational System);
-install MTerm;
-install SDLX and Sinergy if you want them;
-restart the PC and activate your Security appp (A/V, whatever).

Your system should be working OK now. IF IT IS NOT, your PC Operational System probably have had some of its system files altered by the early installations. The problem is that MS Office is HIGHLY integrated in the operational system, and Trados interface with Office may have messed up some files, causing problems that only surface when you run Trados/Office. If this is the case, you'll spend less time reinstalling your system than fighting with VBXs, DLLs, OCXs, whatever.

Trados 2007 and Office 2003 is a great combination.

Cheers, Edric

[Edited at 2007-09-09 15:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading from Trados 6.5 to SDL2007... what a disaster

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs