changing terms in uncleaned document
Thread poster: Roland Nienerza

Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:43
English to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2007

Hello,

working with TagEditor on an .isc file, of which a clean version apparently is not to be had, I wonder if, having finished about 12 pages, I could replace some terms which occurred about 50 times each, by setting "go to" / "replace" / "replace all".

I had in previous such cases trouble when changing terms in a bilingual file, without having opened every related TU separately.

Or can this be done, for instance, by removing "document protection"?

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not Sep 9, 2007

I do that routinely, target protection off. But you later have to update the TM (when all is corrected).
Regards
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You don't even have to switch the document protection off Sep 9, 2007

Just use the "Search & Replace" function by Tageditor. This will let you replace what you want in your target text. By default source text is not to be modified.
After you've done that, save the document. Than close it, make a copy of it in a separate directory and use the cleanup function from Workbench to update your TM before workng further on that document. This way you will ensure, that new segments will be based on the updated segments, if internal cross-matches within the document should be found.

PS
Indeed, you can use the S&R only after you unprotect the document. However, because unprotecting the document bears a risk, you should activate the protection after having replaced what you needed unless you are completly sure you will not damage the document when leaving it uprotected. Sorry for confusion.

[Edited at 2007-09-09 20:26]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 9, 2007

N.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 9, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Just use the "Search & Replace" function by Tageditor. This will let you replace what you want in your target text. By default source text is not to be modified.
After you've done that, save the document. Than close it, make a copy of it in a separate directory and use the cleanup function from Workbench to update your TM before workng further on that document. This way you will ensure, that new segments will be based on the updated segments, if internal cross-matches within the document should be found.

I just wonder what you mean by making "a copy in a separate directory". Do you mean a separate folder, or just another copy? I have already a backup-copy of that file. Could I close the adjusted one, open the backup, make a cleanup in Worbench and go back to the main file?

N.

[Edited at 2007-09-09 19:25]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I mean exactly what I say Sep 9, 2007

A copy in a separate directory (or call that folder, if you wish - even Microsoft in not 100% consistent in this terminology).
I do not mean creating any backups, but just:

• Creating a new folder (directory) in your project folder (working directory)
  • Selecting the file in question by clicking it once with the left mouse button
  • Pressing "CTRL+C" while the file is selected or pressing the right mouse button and selecting "Copy" from the context menu
  • Going to the newly created directory from first step, which is obviously empty
  • Pressing "CTRL+V" or right clicking with the mouse and selecting "paste" (or is it called "insert"?) from the context menu

This way you'll have a copy of the file you were working on and made changes in terminology WITHOUT opening TUs using the search & replace function, which you now may use for updating your TM without having the slightest risk that something might happen to your original (working) file.

I'm sorry, but I am not able to make my mind more clear than here.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That indeed was quite clear Sep 9, 2007

at least as far as copying the file into another folder was concerned.

There is another curiosity.

By opening the Search / Replace function - with Ctrl + H, I can fill in the searched term and the term for repacement, but the button Replace and Replace All on the right of that screen remain gray - meaning that I cannot replace even a single occurrence, let alone all.

ten minutes later - I found out that after Unprotecting Document the Replace functions become active.

N.

[Edited at 2007-09-09 19:48]

[Edited at 2007-09-09 19:57]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not really understood yet Sep 9, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Than close it, make a copy of it in a separate directory and use the cleanup function from Workbench to update your TM before workng further ***on that document***. This way you will ensure, that new segments will be based on the updated segments, if internal cross-matches within the document should be found.

I save and close the document with the replacements, i.e. D1 in folder A. Then I drag D1 into folder B - to make it implicitely D1 [+], though I do not really change the name. Then I clean D1 from folder B.

And then I continue to work with which document - D1 from folder A oder D1 [+] from folder B?

And what is if I do not update the TM - because there are very little repetitions anyhow. And would the TM not update itself - if I repeatedly reject its propositions?

These are a lot of questions. You might answer all or some if you wish - but of course I do understand if you do not have the time for it.

N.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can also update without cleanup Sep 10, 2007

The file you copy to the cleanup-folder is used only for cleanup and updating the TM. The working file stays unchanged.

But You can go to the top of the file, open first segment and press Alt+* (update till fuzzy) and press Alt++ every time a changed segment appears. That will update the TM also, AFAIK.

Regards
Heinrich

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you for additional advice - Sep 10, 2007

Hello Heinrich,

thank you for your added input.

I had come to the conclusion already that for continuing I would have to go back to the original work file[s] and it seems to have come out correctly. I had actually a match that gave one of the modified terms in the new version.

I hope to apply your second hint at the next occurrence - as after all, this procedure is something that will frequently be needed.

R. N.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

changing terms in uncleaned document

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs