Lüder Meyer
Lüder Meyer  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:37
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sep 12, 2007

Hello,

I've just finished a translation with SDLX but when I wanted to create the translation (word file) the following message appeared:

Failed to save Open Tag file.

Does anybody know what I have to do in order to be able to create the translation?
Thanks in advance,

Lüder

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:37
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I have had this problem too Sep 23, 2007

I have unfortunately not resolved it yet.

I can provide the following additional information though. It seems that it is due to a file association problem. Windows apparently thinks that the "otf" extension stands for "Open Type Font". For some reason, this then leads some program to open any .otf file around and refuse to let go of it, with the result that you can't delete the file or rename it. So when SDLX tries to create the file for either a preview or creation of the translati
... See more
I have unfortunately not resolved it yet.

I can provide the following additional information though. It seems that it is due to a file association problem. Windows apparently thinks that the "otf" extension stands for "Open Type Font". For some reason, this then leads some program to open any .otf file around and refuse to let go of it, with the result that you can't delete the file or rename it. So when SDLX tries to create the file for either a preview or creation of the translation, if there is already a file of that name in existence (e.g. from last time you tried to preview a draft of the same translation), the OS blocks it.

I tried creating a nonsense .otf file (using Notepad) and deleting it, and got the same problem. You can make that part of the problem go away by changing the file association to something other than the font viewer, but this doesn't help SDLX much. I am going to have to look at this further, as I have a job due tomorrow morning, and I am too far into it to easily change to another CAT tool. At the moment, I can do the translation, but not put it back into the required format (PPT in my case).

I'll keep you (everyone posted), and would be most grateful if anyone could suggest a way out of this. Is it possible to delete a file association altogether, for instance?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failed to save Open Tag file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »