Failed to save Open Tag file
Thread poster: Lüder Meyer

Lüder Meyer  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Member (2007)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sep 12, 2007

I've just finished a translation with SDLX but when I wanted to create the translation (word file) the following message appeared:

Failed to save Open Tag file.

Does anybody know what I have to do in order to be able to create the translation?
Thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Benham  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
German to English
+ ...
I have had this problem too Sep 23, 2007

I have unfortunately not resolved it yet.

I can provide the following additional information though. It seems that it is due to a file association problem. Windows apparently thinks that the "otf" extension stands for "Open Type Font". For some reason, this then leads some program to open any .otf file around and refuse to let go of it, with the result that you can't delete the file or rename it. So when SDLX tries to create the file for either a preview or creation of the translation, if there is already a file of that name in existence (e.g. from last time you tried to preview a draft of the same translation), the OS blocks it.

I tried creating a nonsense .otf file (using Notepad) and deleting it, and got the same problem. You can make that part of the problem go away by changing the file association to something other than the font viewer, but this doesn't help SDLX much. I am going to have to look at this further, as I have a job due tomorrow morning, and I am too far into it to easily change to another CAT tool. At the moment, I can do the translation, but not put it back into the required format (PPT in my case).

I'll keep you (everyone posted), and would be most grateful if anyone could suggest a way out of this. Is it possible to delete a file association altogether, for instance?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failed to save Open Tag file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs