https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/84004-technical_problems_with_sdl_trados_8_and_zero_support_from_sdl.html

Technical problems with SDL Trados 8 and zero support from SDL
Thread poster: Dr. Lausberg de Morales
Dr. Lausberg de Morales
Dr. Lausberg de Morales  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 00:53
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 17, 2007

I bought SDL Trados 8 with the "early bird" offer and when I could finally download the software I found it to be a real nightmare with Windows Vista. It froze my computer, damaged my OS and I had to reinstall Windows. This happened twice and then the Patch 8.22 was offered. I installed it and maybe it would have worked fine, but unfortunately my 2 Activation Keys were gone by the time. The frozen computer was not able to return them and that was it. I decided to dump the version and now I am wo... See more
I bought SDL Trados 8 with the "early bird" offer and when I could finally download the software I found it to be a real nightmare with Windows Vista. It froze my computer, damaged my OS and I had to reinstall Windows. This happened twice and then the Patch 8.22 was offered. I installed it and maybe it would have worked fine, but unfortunately my 2 Activation Keys were gone by the time. The frozen computer was not able to return them and that was it. I decided to dump the version and now I am working with version 7 again. I would like to know whether other professionals have experienced the same problems and what was their experience with the SDL Support. I am still waiting for an answer by the support staff for an email that I sent in May. I wonder whether now one has to purchase a new license every time one reinstalls the software, even on the same system???Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:53
Italian to English
In memoriam
Hi Sep 17, 2007

Hi there,

You can activate your licence on two different computers at any one time.

If you want to switch one of the instances to a third computer, you need to return it firs
... See more
Hi there,

You can activate your licence on two different computers at any one time.

If you want to switch one of the instances to a third computer, you need to return it first. Take a look at:

Answer ID 2155 in the SDL Knowledge Base.

If you can't do this for any reason, do get in touch with SDL again. They're not as bad as all that

Suerte,

Giles

[Edited at 2007-09-17 08:06]
Collapse

Dr. Lausberg de Morales
Dr. Lausberg de Morales  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 00:53
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could not return activation key Sep 26, 2007

Dear Giles,

thank you very much for your reply.

I know that this is what the support page suggests as well. My problem was that the combination of Trados 8 with Vista froze my computer and I could not return the activation key. So it got just lost. Since the support does not answer any of my requests I guess Trados 8 is just gone for me, unless I buy a new license, and why would I do that? In fact I have worked with the software less than 1 day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical problems with SDL Trados 8 and zero support from SDL

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »