Thread poster: Marlou Franken

Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:05
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 17, 2007

How can I quickly correct certain terms in a large ttx (20.000+ words)?

I am required to change a list of terms in this large ttx. Taking it segment by segment in the tageditor is way to slow!

Any help much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:05
English to Russian
Use "Search and Replace" in the TTX file Sep 17, 2007

Open the TTX file and uprotect document via Menu/Tools/Options/Protection/Document Protection.
Then Select "CTL+H" for replacement and fill in the boxes "Replace" and "Replace with" (either typing directly in the box or pasting the term first copying it using"CTL+C" and then pasting it using "CTL+V" or equivalent menu shortcuts).
You can replace globally or checking every segment containing the term to be replaced.
Be careful: if the same term is used in upper and lower cases, make sure you search for both. In other words the "S&R" function will probably not find the same term but in different case.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it works! Sep 17, 2007

Thank you Alexey!

Also found out I was trying to S&R in the source only, which doesn't work (of course, you might say)

Now, I have the bilingual file, unprotected the doc and yes indeed, it works now.
May get this done after all, in the required 7 hours, big relieve...

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Use TagEditor plugin Sep 17, 2007

Convert your list of terms into Multiterm termbase and then use Trados Terminology Verifier plugin (I guess it's available in Trados 2006 and 2007 only).

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
English to French
+ ...
Use a TM manager and simply target segments containing the term Sep 17, 2007

I use XBench by ApSic ( http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html ) to manage my TMs. Just load a TM (or even the TTX itself) into it, search for the term you want to modify, and once it neatly displays all segments containing the term, use the XBench function that automatically opens the TTX and highlights that particular segment. Then, just edit the segment as usual and move on to the next segment displayed in XBench.

XBench is useful for a lot of other stuff - ever since I've had it, I've used it on all projects over 10000 words. I'm hooked!

You can also just export your TM as text and search and replace there - saves you the effort of fiddling with Trados shortcuts. Then, import it back again and simply use the Workbench Translate function.

[Edited at 2007-09-17 21:42]

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try these out too Sep 17, 2007

Thanks so much both, it is a bit of nasty little (or big?) job, I am looking for good methods, will try them out tomorrow!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change terms in a bilingual ttx doc

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs