SDLX and how it handles languages - is Merging possible?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:57
Spanish
+ ...
Sep 17, 2007

Hello,

I'm using SDL Edit and Termbase to translate one large document (4000+ segments). The agency sent me a large tdb file to use it in the translation. The problem is that the glossary contains both 'Spanish' and 'Spanish - Latin American' terms, so I set Termbase to show both languages. Now, I don't know how SDL Edit handles termbases with two languages, I mean I don't know if it sees 'Spanish' and 'Spanish - Latin American' as one language, and if it's suggesting terms in both
... See more
Hello,

I'm using SDL Edit and Termbase to translate one large document (4000+ segments). The agency sent me a large tdb file to use it in the translation. The problem is that the glossary contains both 'Spanish' and 'Spanish - Latin American' terms, so I set Termbase to show both languages. Now, I don't know how SDL Edit handles termbases with two languages, I mean I don't know if it sees 'Spanish' and 'Spanish - Latin American' as one language, and if it's suggesting terms in both language or just one. SDL Edit is set to EN> 'Spanish - Latin American'.

The problem is that the agency sent me a new--corrected glossary (Termbase) with only one language, 'Spanish - Latin American'. But I've already added several hundreds terms to the old 2-language Termbase. So I don't want to use the new corrected Termbase and lose the new added terms.

So I think I have to options and I don't know if they can be done:

• In the old Termbase, merge both languages into 'Spanish - Latin American', or
  • Merge o export the new terms (I don't know how) to the new one.

I don't know if the solution is very simple and I'm just making things more difficult than they are, I don't use SDLX very often. I would really appreciate any help.

Claudia
Collapse

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:57
English to French
+ ...
Export everything in a TM Sep 18, 2007

Hello Claudia,

To merge two termbase files, you first have to export your current termbase into an export file (STE), before importing it into the new termbase. During the importing process, you can choose to overwrite existing concepts so there are no duplicates in the final glossary. This might take a while if your termbase is big.

There is a way I would recommend though, to avoid using Multiterm (but you have to be familiar enough with SDLX), provided your Termbase d
... See more
Hello Claudia,

To merge two termbase files, you first have to export your current termbase into an export file (STE), before importing it into the new termbase. During the importing process, you can choose to overwrite existing concepts so there are no duplicates in the final glossary. This might take a while if your termbase is big.

There is a way I would recommend though, to avoid using Multiterm (but you have to be familiar enough with SDLX), provided your Termbase does not contain any interesting information apart from the terms.
I would recommend exporting everything into an SDLX TM, because that way translation will be much more comfortable.
All you have to do is choose file/export in Termbase and export the source and target data.
Afterwards, open SDLX Maintain, create a TM and import the TXT export file (if your translation file's target language is Spanish-Latin America, pick this language for the TM. Once the TM is created, open it in your file and use the F7 key to look for terms. Though it might seem burdensome to use F7 where termbase automatically looked for the terms, it is much more reliable with a TM, because you can find similar terms or mispelled terms, whereas Termbase can only find words with the same spelling.
Hope it helps,

Annelise
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:57
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase to TM Sep 18, 2007

Thank you Annelise, I hadn't considered converting the termbase into a TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX and how it handles languages - is Merging possible?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »