Trados patch
Thread poster: Hilde Granlund

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:04
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sep 19, 2007

I just received an email about Trados Patch now being available.
Since Trados 2007 has several annoying bugs, I was hoping this would solve it.
I have downloaded the file, and then I try to open it. The install program starts two processes/frames.
One of them runs for a while , then just hangs.
The other one stops an tells me it cannot find a file called
SDLT2007FL.msi.
No wonder. There is no such thing on my computer.

Anyone found out how to do this?

Direct link Reply with quote

Percy Balemans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
You need the original installation files Sep 19, 2007

Hi Hilde,

I haven't installed the patch myself yet, but I read the release notes and noticed they mentioned this. Here's what it says:

Note: The patch installer requires the installation files of the original SDL Trados 2007 Freelance release to be available during the installation process. These files have the extension .msi. By default, the original release keeps these files on your system in a temporary folder (%TEMP%\SDL Trados 2007 Freelance by default, where %TEMP% resolves to C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp by default on Windows XP). If you have deleted this folder you may first need to re-run the original SDL Trados 2007 Freelance self-extracting executable file to re-extract the .msi files of the original release. When running the patch installer, you may be prompted to point to these .msi files. If you no longer have access to the original .msi files you can uninstall SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, SDLX 2007 and SDL Trados Synergy 2007 from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and then download and run the full installer following the instructions provided below.

Hope this helps!

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Percy is right, Hilde Sep 19, 2007

Percy Balemans wrote:

f you no longer have access to the original .msi files you can uninstall SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, SDLX 2007 and SDL Trados Synergy 2007 from Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and then download and run the full installer following the instructions provided below.

Hope this helps!

I save all my installation files to folders in a setup directory on a separate partition. The Trados patch wizard found the .msi file no problem.

Good luck,

Giles

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 19, 2007

THat's probably it.
What a bore

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 22:04
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Does it fix much... Sep 20, 2007

Hi Hilde (and everyone else who's installed the patch)
We have been avoiding an upgrade to 2007 (and SDLX!) due to all the reported bugs. From what you have seen so far, is this beginning to iron out some of the bumps? I don't imagine that this will fix everything so soon, but how are SDL doing so far
Thanks for any and all information!
Kind regards,
Owen

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Any version/build number? Sep 20, 2007

I just received an email about Trados Patch now being available.

Dear Hilde,

could you, please, be more specific on the version or build number of the patch announced by SDL Trados? If the patch is really new, I would like to install it myself.

For reference, my version is 8.0.0.820 (Build 820).

Update: I saw for myself that the build announced will be 826. I will definitely download the SDL Trados 2007 Freelance Service Pack 1 (being the official name allocated by SDL Trados).

Carsten

[Edited at 2007-09-20 10:23]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Build number after update Sep 20, 2007

is 8.0.0.826 - (Build 826) for Workbench and Tageditor.
Synergy has build 8.0.96.0.

I do not know the exact changes.

Jerzy

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hope Sep 20, 2007

that I finally managed to download the whole thing last night. I was too tired to check it out.
Hopefully it will not all have crashed, because I have several projects due for the next couple of days.
I'll post something about what I think of it later.
Jerzy and Carsten are right about the build no.

[Edited at 2007-09-20 10:58]

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Service Pack doesn't work for 820 Sep 20, 2007

Carsten,

The service pack doesn't work for version 820, you need to download the whole package. I had 820, downloaded the whole package, installed it and it worked perfectly.
I like it because it doesn't crash any more no matter how quickly you go through the segments.

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No more crashes - wonderful! Sep 20, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

I like it because it doesn't crash any more no matter how quickly you go through the segments.

That sounds very promising. The crashing has been the most annoying thing about this. And very irregular - sometimes it crashes every 5 minutes, at other times it works perfectly for days.

Percy Balemans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No more crashes, but performance in Word 2007 seems to be the same Sep 20, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Same experience here: I just installed the patch and went through a file I had already translated as fast as I could: no crashes. That at least is a huge improvement!

I had hoped that performance in Word 2007 (I'm using Office 207 and Windows XP) would have been improved as well, but that doesn't seem to have changed.

Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thx to Wilmer! Sep 20, 2007

The service pack doesn't work for version 820, you need to download the whole package.

Thank you, Wilmer, for your detailed attention to the fact that 820 owners will run into a deadlock with the update patch.

To summarize, owners of SDL Trados FL Build 820 must download the entire SDL Trados Freelance SP1 package (and not the patch which works only for owners of build 822). Ignore the upper part of My Downloads and go to the part Click the Product Name to show the files available to download. There, click on SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and download SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (includes Service Pack 1).

After the download uninstall the older version of your Trados edition completely (including Synergy and SDLX). Run the downloaded version.

Carsten

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
A problem Sep 20, 2007

I don't know if I am the only one with this problem, but after installing the update, Multiterm convert now gives an error message if I try to convert a txt or excel file "an entry with the same key already exists". I post it here because I assume that this is related to the update even though I did not change Multiterm, could anyone try it?

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Avoid it like the plague Sep 20, 2007

I did manage to install the patch.
However, where before, Workbench would crash every 5 minutes or so, before giving me the message that it has performed an illegal operation and has to close - now this error message comes up immediately, and Workbench does not open at all.
That is what i call a real improvement

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Xp? Sep 20, 2007

Sorry to hear that Hilde. What version of Windows do you use? Does Workbench also crash if you use tageditor and not Word?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados patch

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums