Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:20
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 20, 2007

Hello,
I received an new asignment and the client sent a TM for support. The problem is, he sent me a TXT TM and I am working with Trados Freelance 7, which is using TMW TM's.
Is there a way to convert the TXT into TMW? If so, can somebody please explain it to me in "simple language".

I would be really gratefull.

Thanks,

Rob Rietvelt

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Import the txt file Sep 20, 2007

You can import the txt file in Trados using File > Import in Workbench.

Jørgen

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't find the TM Sep 21, 2007

Hello jorge,

Thank you for your answer.

I imported the TXT the way you said, but the TXT stiil don't show.
When I open my TM-list in Workbench, it only shows the TMW TM's, not the TXT, so I still can't work with it.

It seems I have to convert TXT into TMW. The problem is I don't know how!

Rob

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Where did you import it to? Sep 21, 2007

Hi Robert,

I imported the TXT the way you said, but the TXT stiil don't show.
When I open my TM-list in Workbench, it only shows the TMW TM's, not the TXT, so I still can't work with it.

You must have opened a TM in order to import.

It seems I have to convert TXT into TMW.

As Jørgen correctly pointed out, you need to import the .txt file: for this purpose, you will either need to create a new (empty) TM, or use an existing one. (With unknown .txt files, I would use a new one, to be on the safe side.)

HTH, Ralf

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To my TM list (I think) Sep 21, 2007

Hello Ralf,

I opened Workbench > file > import > OK. Then I selected the TXT, double click and it (automatically) appeared in de Workbench window as "TM accepted.

Till so far so good, I think. The only problem is, when I open the file to work in (in Workbench), and I am looking for the TM, I can't find it. The only TM's I can select are TMW, not the TXT, and that is the one I need.

Do you know how to solve this problem? There must be a way.

Ro
... See more
Hello Ralf,

I opened Workbench > file > import > OK. Then I selected the TXT, double click and it (automatically) appeared in de Workbench window as "TM accepted.

Till so far so good, I think. The only problem is, when I open the file to work in (in Workbench), and I am looking for the TM, I can't find it. The only TM's I can select are TMW, not the TXT, and that is the one I need.

Do you know how to solve this problem? There must be a way.

Rob
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
To import, you must have a TM *open* Sep 21, 2007

Hi again,

I opened Workbench > file > import > OK.

...and which TM was open at the time?
The import command is disabled if no TM is open.

Then I selected the TXT, double click and it (automatically) appeared in de Workbench window as "TM accepted.

Are you sure that was the exact message?
If you did not get an error message, this means you successfully imported the .txt file into the TM that was open at the time.

The only TM's I can select are TMW, not the TXT, and that is the one I need.

Nope - that's the one you need to import - the text format is a carrier, not a working format.

I would suggest to read section 3 of the Translator's Workbench User Guide.

Best regards,
Ralf

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try it Sep 21, 2007

Hello Ralf,

If I understand you correctly, I first have to create a new TM, and import the TXT into that one.(????)

At the time of import there was no TM open, but Workbench did give the message that the TM was accepted.(????)
I will read section 3 of the Translator's Workbench User Guide.

Thank you for your help. If this isn't working either, I will be back online.

Rob

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Import without open TM is impossible Sep 21, 2007

Hi again,

If I understand you correctly, I first have to create a new TM, and import the TXT into that one.(????)

Correct. Alternatively, you can import into an existing TM (unless you're certain about contents and quality of the TM to be imported, I would always prefer to use a new one).

At the time of import there was no TM open, but Workbench did give the message that the TM was accepted.(????)

If no TM was open, you could not have selected File - Import.
My best guess is that Workbench opened the last TM that had been used previously.

Best, Ralf

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Sep 21, 2007

Hello Ralf,

I just want to let you know that the TM is working. Thank you very much for your help.

Rob

Laura Admiraal
Laura Admiraal  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
Dutch to Italian
+ ...
How to import a TM with TXT format in Translator's Workbench Sep 3, 2011

Dears,

I seem to have the same problem as Robert had, so I tried to resolve following Ralfs instructions. Unfortunately I did not resolve yet.

My translation agency sent me a folder called "TM Export" with inside two files: a TXT file and a TMX file. They told me that from this folder I should import my TM.

I proceeded as following:

I opened Translator's Workbench
In my case many functions, like the "import" button from the File>Import ar
... See more
Dears,

I seem to have the same problem as Robert had, so I tried to resolve following Ralfs instructions. Unfortunately I did not resolve yet.

My translation agency sent me a folder called "TM Export" with inside two files: a TXT file and a TMX file. They told me that from this folder I should import my TM.

I proceeded as following:

I opened Translator's Workbench
In my case many functions, like the "import" button from the File>Import are grey (not active). I guess that's because no TM is selected yet? I can select just three functions: New..., Open..., Connect... and Exit.
I select: File > Open... > Select your Translation Memory (TM)
Here I can just select one type of file: Translation Memory (*.tmx). But when I select the folder "TM Export" inside it results empty!

How is this possible? I hope someone can help me.

Thank's in advance!

Kind Regards,

Laura
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Laura Sep 3, 2011

First of all, you should either open some existing TM or (better) create a new one (File - New...)

Then you will be able to import there the TM sent to you by your customet (either txt or tmx, it's all the same). However, please note that TMs are usually sent as ZIP archives, so maybe you should unzip the folder first .

Natalia
P.S. If you will be creating a new TM, you need to choose the language pair the same as in the TM that has been sent to you.

[Edit
... See more
First of all, you should either open some existing TM or (better) create a new one (File - New...)

Then you will be able to import there the TM sent to you by your customet (either txt or tmx, it's all the same). However, please note that TMs are usually sent as ZIP archives, so maybe you should unzip the folder first .

Natalia
P.S. If you will be creating a new TM, you need to choose the language pair the same as in the TM that has been sent to you.

[Edited at 2011-09-03 22:33 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:20
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would a video help? Sep 4, 2011

Hi Laura,

I know this can be frustrating, maybe this will help:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/09/importing-txt-or-tmx-file-into-trados.html

The video shows importing into a newly created TM, but as Natalie points out, if you already have a TM, just open that one and follow the import process.

Best,
... See more
Hi Laura,

I know this can be frustrating, maybe this will help:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.com/2011/09/importing-txt-or-tmx-file-into-trados.html

The video shows importing into a newly created TM, but as Natalie points out, if you already have a TM, just open that one and follow the import process.

Best,

Nora
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS: To convert txt to tmw

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »