https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/84464-product_activation_code_sdl2007_does_not_work_for_sdl_2006.html

Product activation code SDL2007 does not work for SDL 2006
Thread poster: Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:42
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 21, 2007

Dear all

I want to use SDL 2006 (no previous license available) and SDL 2007 on the same pc. This is what I learned from support:
"You can use both on the same machine.
You can install SDL Trados 2006 (without licensing the product) and then install SDL Trados 2007 and license the product with the activation code or license file (depends on what you received).
Because the license for SDL Trados 2007 can also be used for SDL Trados 2006, you only have to be sure tha
... See more
Dear all

I want to use SDL 2006 (no previous license available) and SDL 2007 on the same pc. This is what I learned from support:
"You can use both on the same machine.
You can install SDL Trados 2006 (without licensing the product) and then install SDL Trados 2007 and license the product with the activation code or license file (depends on what you received).
Because the license for SDL Trados 2007 can also be used for SDL Trados 2006, you only have to be sure that the license manger don´t show the path to any license that is older than the SDL Trados 2007 license.

To switch between the programs you should only register the version you want to use. Normally under START-->Programs-->SDL International-->SDL Trados 2006 / 2007 --> Register SDL Trados 2006 / 2007"

However:
I uninstalled Trados 6.5 (including the license), installed SDL 2006 and after that SDL 2007 including the patch.
Unfortunately SDL 2006 still runs in the Demo Mode (No information about SDL licenses could be retrieved. Please check your license locations. The specified license could not be found.)
However if I check the license manager in SDL 2007 the path is ok:
Official SDL license file
Available licenses:
MultiTerm Desktop, Version 8.0
S-Tagger for FrameMaker, Version 8.0
S-Tagger for Interleaf, Version 8.0
Synergy Client, Version 8.0
TagEditor, Version 8.0
Japanese UI for TagEditor, Version 8.0
Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 8.0 Freelance
Japanese UI for Translator's Workbench, Version 8.0
WinAlign, Version 8.0 Freelance
Japanese UI for WinAlign, Version 8.0)

I also tested the license, but now license was found for 2006.
I also browsed for the path where the license for SDL 2007 should be, but nothing helps.
Both versions are installed in separate folders and of course I registered each version before trying.

But Trados 7.5 still runs in Demo mode!

The reason I need SDL 2006 as well is that most of my clients use this version instead of SDL 2007.
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Are you sure you can't use SDL 2007? Sep 21, 2007

Channa Montijn wrote:

The reason I need SDL 2006 as well is that most of my clients use this version instead of SDL 2007.
For Trados TMs for instance, if you use 2007, you can store them in the previous formats, which allows full compatibility with your customers. I guess the same applies to the other applications, you'd better check, maybe it is easier than running 2 applications + having the hell of a time to make them work.

Channa Montijn
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answer, but Sep 21, 2007

unfortunately most of my clients want uncleaned txt-files... sending them just a TM would mean more work for them.
I also tried uninstalling SDL 2006 and reinstalling it (without uninstalling SDL2007) hoping this may solve the problem... no such luck.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:42
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
re-register each version every time you switch Sep 21, 2007

It's not quite clear from your post, so I apoligize if you already did/knew this...

You can't use two different versions at the same time. I.e. if you currently have Trados 2007 registered, you need to transfer the registration to the Trados 2006 before you can use it. If you switch back to Trados 2007, you need to re-register that version.
This registration is with your computer, not like a software registration with the vendor.

To switch between the programs you should only register the version you want to use. Normally under START-->Programs-->SDL International-->SDL Trados 2006 / 2007 --> Register SDL Trados 2006 / 2007"

This is exacty what you need to do each time you switch versions. I.e. if you currently have v2007 registered, go to SDL Trados 2006 and choose Register....

Channa Montijn
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answer but Sep 21, 2007

as I mentioned in my post: Both versions are installed in separate folders and of course I registered each version before trying.
Perhaps I was not clear enough... I register each version before I open the version I want to use (SDL 2006 or SDL 2007)... after registering, SDL 2007 works fine (I use XP BTW), I register SDL 2006 (no problems), still Demo Version.
There is something wrong with the path for the license used for both versions...

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Why not try... Sep 21, 2007

Channa Montijn wrote:

unfortunately most of my clients want uncleaned txt-files...

... sending one of your customers a trial uncleaned file created with Trados 8? There shouldn't be any problems.

These files can actually be cleaned up into TMs created in earlier versions of Trados. I know because I have customers who do just that.

My clients could also import one of my Trados 8 TMs into their versions of Trados if I exported it to .txt. It's only the five TM files (.iix, .mdf, .mtf, .mwf and .tmw) that can't be handled by earlier editions because the database engine has been changed in Trados 8.

FWIW, in all my years of using Trados, I have never found it necessary to have two versions of the program on my computers at the same time.

Good luck,

Giles

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:42
Swedish to English
+ ...
Please explain Sep 22, 2007

Channa Montijn wrote:
unfortunately most of my clients want uncleaned txt-files

Can you explain what you mean by "uncleaned txt-files" ?

I have been using Trados for years, and I have never come across such files. I produce either uncleaned DOC or RTF files, or I produce TM export files that are TXT files. Either way, I can send these to customers, and it does not matter if they have a different version of Trados.

As Giles Watson points out, it is the internal Trados database files that are version-specific. What you might call the external files (the bilngual version of your translation, or the TM export files), are deliberately not version-specific so that they can be exchanged.

It may be you don't have a problem after all.

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No problem Sep 22, 2007

Channa Montijn wrote:

Hi Channa,

Don't worry. If you create your bilingual files in Trados 2007, your clients won't have any problems processing them in Trados 2006.

Regards,
Stefan

Channa Montijn
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 23, 2007

Of course I mean bilingual files... (not uncleaned).... Uninstalling and installing must have effected my brain.
Thank you all for your input... I will give it a try.
The reason for my concerns is that a client of mine wrote a fews weeks ago the following:
"I have received information from XXX that the client will start working with Trados version 7.5 from the end of September or beginning of October. Please make sure you are using our same build (Trados 7.5: Build 7.5.0.759 an
... See more
Of course I mean bilingual files... (not uncleaned).... Uninstalling and installing must have effected my brain.
Thank you all for your input... I will give it a try.
The reason for my concerns is that a client of mine wrote a fews weeks ago the following:
"I have received information from XXX that the client will start working with Trados version 7.5 from the end of September or beginning of October. Please make sure you are using our same build (Trados 7.5: Build 7.5.0.759 and for Trados 6.5: Build 6.5.441). The updates from a lower version can be downloaded for free from Trados (while an upgrade from Trados 7.0 to 7.5 is charged)."
Perhaps I misunderstood this then and is Trados 8.0 fine as well (or even better -;)).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Product activation code SDL2007 does not work for SDL 2006

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »