Mobile menu

translating Comments in Word
Thread poster: lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:23
Portuguese to English
Sep 21, 2007

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but my searches of the Forums produced nothing. Does anyone know if it is possible to translate inserted Comments in Word in Trados? I thought they might behave like footnotes but seemingly not (or only partly).

Before anyone asks why I would want to do this, let me say I think it's bloody daft too, but I've been instructed to do it.

I think I can see how to do it manually - the Trados bit is just curiosity on my part really.

Direct link Reply with quote

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Tageditor? Sep 22, 2007

Maybe if you convert the file to ttx in tageditor you will be able to translate it? I haven't tried it, but that would be an option I would try if I had to do it.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor confirmed Sep 22, 2007

Hi,
I can confirm that this works in TagEditor (7.1 or higher) - we recenty completed a project where comments were used to create hyperlinks in a Help file (Doc-2-Help). Translating them in TagEditor was no problem whatsoever.

HTH, Ralf

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Same here Sep 22, 2007

lexical wrote:
Before anyone asks why I would want to do this, let me say I think it's bloody daft too, but I've been instructed to do it.

I've just had three documents in which the client had used the comments function for content. Almost half of the document was comments. One of my colleagues was unable to work with it because later versions of MS Word regards all comments as proofreading items and interfere with normal editing if there are comments.

Okay, I'm not a Trados user... I copied the comments and translated them separately, and added them back in manually.

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Sep 23, 2007

...Wilmer and Ralph for the information, and Samuel for the fellow-feeling! In the end I decided to deal with them manually as there are only a handful of them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating Comments in Word

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs