Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 24, 2007

G'day everyone

A client recently sent me some XML files and an INI file so that I could create TTX files for translation. In the mean time, the folder names etc had changed, and when I open the TTX file in TagEditor, it complains loudly about silly things like the language combination of the TM aint right, etc.

But that's not my problem... the issue is the path of the INI file. When I open the TTX file in Notepad, I can see the absolute path of the INI file in the TTX
... See more
G'day everyone

A client recently sent me some XML files and an INI file so that I could create TTX files for translation. In the mean time, the folder names etc had changed, and when I open the TTX file in TagEditor, it complains loudly about silly things like the language combination of the TM aint right, etc.

But that's not my problem... the issue is the path of the INI file. When I open the TTX file in Notepad, I can see the absolute path of the INI file in the TTX header... and it reveals the folder scheme I use for storing client information. I regard this as a terrible breach of privacy, and I would like to know if I can do something about it. Can I simply change this:

UserSettings DataType="XML" O-Encoding="UTF-8" SettingsName="ABC XML" SettingsPath="C:\Documents and Settings\ABC\TRADOS\TRADOS\INI\ABC.ini" SourceLanguage="EN-US" TargetLanguage="AF" TargetDefaultFont="" SourceDocumentPath="C:\Documents and Settings\ABC\name_of_original_xml_file.xml" SettingsRelativePath="..\..\..\..\..\..\TRADOS\TRADOS\INI\ANC.ini" PlugInInfo=""/

to something like this:

UserSettings DataType="XML" O-Encoding="UTF-8" SettingsName="ABC XML" SettingsPath="ABC.ini" SourceLanguage="EN-US" TargetLanguage="AF" TargetDefaultFont="" SourceDocumentPath="name_of_original_xml_file.xml" SettingsRelativePath="ANC.ini" PlugInInfo=""/

or is it better not to fiddle with it?

Am I doomed to recreate the TTX files from a non-private folder like C:\ and retranslate them from there?

Another question: the header contains the absolute path of the original XML file, but if I send the TTX file to the client, he's not going to have the XML file in the same location as I had it... so what's the point of including this information in the TTX file?
Collapse

Natalia K
Natalia K
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:19
English to Russian
Copy INi file to the same folder Sep 24, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hi Samuel,

Copy INi-file to the same folder where TTX-file is located, and TagEditor will not complain.

Natalia

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
comfort Sep 24, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Am I doomed (...)?

if it's a comfort: the header will be entirely rewritten when the TTX is opened by your client.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Correction Sep 25, 2007

saitch wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
Am I doomed (...)?

if it's a comfort: the header will be entirely rewritten when the TTX is opened by your client.

Not true. The header might be rewritten when the TTX is saved again by the client, but even if TE were to change the header immediately, without asking, you could still open the file with a text editor instead and look directly at the header.

That said, I don't quite understand why revealing the structure (not the contents, mind you) of your client folders should be a big issue.

B

P.S.: Oh, and yes, you can change the header. Trados is relatively flexible in that way.

[Edited at 2007-09-25 11:29]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, here's one possible reason Sep 25, 2007

tectranslate wrote:
That said, I don't quite understand why revealing the structure (not the contents, mind you) of your client folders should be a big issue.

C:\My Documents\Clients\Stupid Client with Sexy Voice\

(although in my case it isn't really this bad)

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor still complains Sep 25, 2007

Natalia K wrote:
Copy INi-file to the same folder where TTX-file is located, and TagEditor will not complain.

It still complains... but I'm not going to worry about it, because (a) I'll eat the header and (b) the client has the INI himself, so he can put it where he wants it himself.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Well... Sep 25, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

tectranslate wrote:

C:\My Documents\Clients\Stupid Client with Sexy Voice\

(although in my case it isn't really this bad)

That sounds like an entry for the book "Things Not to Do When You're Trying to Run a Serious Business" someone ought to write some day.

B

P.S.: Regarding your "eating" of the header: You can edit it to contain another path, other settings file names etc., but you certainly shouldn't mangle or entirely delete the header section, if that's what you're thinking about doing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Privacy issues in TTX file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »