Problem with SDL trados freelance 2007
Thread poster: chenglandy (X)
chenglandy (X)
chenglandy (X)
Local time: 20:50
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 26, 2007

I've purchased 2 licenses on the above software. I've found out that after activation, the software TM cannot be used concurrently in a LAN environment, even though the 2 computers installed are 2 difference licenses.

This means the following:
I started the trados translator's workbench program on computer A.
When I start the same program on Computer B, even though the trados translator's workbench program can start, the TM cannot be loaded. It states that another instan
... See more
I've purchased 2 licenses on the above software. I've found out that after activation, the software TM cannot be used concurrently in a LAN environment, even though the 2 computers installed are 2 difference licenses.

This means the following:
I started the trados translator's workbench program on computer A.
When I start the same program on Computer B, even though the trados translator's workbench program can start, the TM cannot be loaded. It states that another instance of workbench has been activated in the LAN environment. Therefore, the TM will close automatically.
This happens even when they have difference licenses when installed.

However, when the LAN is taken off Computer B, it will work.
But if u were to re plug in the LAN, the problem will be detected again. So the detection is a constant thing in LAN.

I later realized that it is a restriction on the freelance software.

The price difference for Trados freelance and professional is a very big diff of >$2000US per license over here.
Since we are a start-up company, we hope to minimise costs.

I wonder if anyone here could help solve the above problem.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2007-09-26 03:28]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-09-26 04:25]
Collapse

Ayob Salleh
Ayob Salleh  Identity Verified
English to Malay
Problem with SDL trados freelance 2007 Sep 26, 2007

Only one freelance licence can work in Lan environment.
If you want to use both licences then you need to disable the LAN for one licence - very messy

Alternatively - One Pro and one freelance should work in lan environment

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:50
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Unreasonable restrictions... Sep 26, 2007

I always found that restriction unreasonable - there are many situations when two freelancers might be on the same network, even though they are not an agency at all...

You might try assigning different workgroup names to the two computers, as described here:

http://www.proz.com/post/487262

You might also try turning off the local network completely and communicate o
... See more
I always found that restriction unreasonable - there are many situations when two freelancers might be on the same network, even though they are not an agency at all...

You might try assigning different workgroup names to the two computers, as described here:

http://www.proz.com/post/487262

You might also try turning off the local network completely and communicate only through TCP/IP (preferably by a router).

In both cases you will not be able to share folders and printers locally, but there are TCP/IP workarounds...
Collapse

Balttext
Balttext  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 14:50
English to Latvian
+ ...
Change workgroup Sep 26, 2007

There is no guarantee that this will work, but at least there is a chance it might, so why not try?

What you need to do is:

right-click on My Computer>Properties>Choose the tab "Computer Name">click "Change" button>see in the bottom the field "Member of" followed by activated field "Workgroup" with the name of the workgroup written there
This name of workgroup is the item you need to change to something else, so that both computers wouldn't have the same workgroup
... See more
There is no guarantee that this will work, but at least there is a chance it might, so why not try?

What you need to do is:

right-click on My Computer>Properties>Choose the tab "Computer Name">click "Change" button>see in the bottom the field "Member of" followed by activated field "Workgroup" with the name of the workgroup written there
This name of workgroup is the item you need to change to something else, so that both computers wouldn't have the same workgroup.

I hope it helps and let me know if it worked or not.

Uldis
Collapse

chenglandy (X)
chenglandy (X)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with SDL trados freelance 2007 Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for all your replies!

Looks like there's not much other ways.
However, for the old Trados 6 series, we used to use a dongle.
That's why it worked.
After buying the Trados 2007, we realised that it can't work because of the activation key.
It's thoroughly inconvenient for my partner and me, since we need to use the online dictionary and share files at the same time when we are translating files.
The upgrade costs close to $2000, so I guess I had
... See more
Thanks for all your replies!

Looks like there's not much other ways.
However, for the old Trados 6 series, we used to use a dongle.
That's why it worked.
After buying the Trados 2007, we realised that it can't work because of the activation key.
It's thoroughly inconvenient for my partner and me, since we need to use the online dictionary and share files at the same time when we are translating files.
The upgrade costs close to $2000, so I guess I had to use the above methods for now.
Hope that someone will be able to help in this problem, since a lot of us here are freelancers having the same problem.

Thank you!
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:50
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Windows Firewall? Sep 26, 2007

I've just checked that TW4Win.exe registers itself as an exception in the XP Windows Firewall. You might try to unselect it (if you have Windows Firewall set up), do not know if it works but it is worth a try...

Trans-IT Tra (X)
Trans-IT Tra (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:50
English to French
It works! Mar 28, 2008

Thank you so much Uldis, it worked perfectly!

Fabien

Balttext wrote:

What you need to do is:

This name of workgroup is the item you need to change to something else, so that both computers wouldn't have the same workgroup.

I hope it helps and let me know if it worked or not.

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with SDL trados freelance 2007

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »