How to find the corrupt tag?
Thread poster: Hilde Granlund

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:08
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sep 26, 2007

I have a tag-editor document that refuses to clean up. I get an error message that I think means that something is wrong with one tag.
When I run "Verify" I get an error message that is fullof codes and also says something about tags. It does not stay on the screen so I can copy it.
At the end of the process - I get some messages about spacing differences in source and target, but nothing about wrong tags.
What should I try next?

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean Save as Target? Sep 26, 2007

You do not clean up in TE.
I had once a problem where TE threw a message about faulty tag. In fact there was no faulty tag, only that TE could not handle this specific file to the very end.
I loaded the original file, introduced a minor change shortly before the point where TE had trouble, and started Translate to fuzzy. Because of the change the process stopped at this point and I was able to save the document as target.
Then I had to edit the rest of the text manually in a text editor.

Is TE able to save as target the original document or after part of the translation is done?

Regards
Heinrich

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
of course not Sep 26, 2007

Sorry for not being precise. I was a bit stressed out over this.
The problem is a file I translated in Tag Editor that refuses to clean up in workbench.
I get a very cryptic message about something, something tags - but no indication as to where a faulty tag might possibly be located.
I have run Verify and only get a few changed spaces as messages.
No problem with Save as Target, I have gone through the file several times from the original.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Still I do not comprehend Sep 26, 2007

Dear Hilde, why do you want to clean up the file. You should save it as target from the TE file menu. You use the cleanup function of WB for Word-files. As far as I know WB converts these files into rtf prior to cleanup, but that is not possible for TE-files.
I might be wrong though.
Regards
Heinrich

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am definitely no expert on this Sep 26, 2007

I have 9 translated files. (TE all)
To get rid of the source language, I think you can either clean it up or "save as target" - in this one case neither works. With the other eight files it is no problem either way.

I think it is definitely a problem about one of the tags- and what I want to do is find out which one. There should be a simple way to do that.

[Edited at 2007-09-26 16:19]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Please give detailed information Sep 26, 2007

Unless you quote the exact content of the error message, we will all have a hard time figuring out what is wrong and what can be done to help you. So please do give the entire error message. You may want to check http://sdl.custhelp.com for the error message as well.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:08
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
What file type is the source file? Sep 26, 2007

With some types of source files (that includes Word) you cannot make any formatting changes in the ttx file, otherwise Trados cannot match the translation to the original file. Did you delete any external tags that are superfluous in the target, e.g. new paragraphs, page/section breaks in the middle of a segment?

If you can't remember whether you did something like this, it might be best to get a clean ttx copy of the source file and re-apply the tm and make sure you don't change anything except the actual text.

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Known problem Sep 26, 2007

A couple of days ago I had a similar problem with an Excel file. I tried it either way but only got cryptic error messages.

The only way to get out of this: Either send the corrupt file to Trados support or restart the translation completely with a "fresh" file. I don't know of any other remedy.

I also don't know, why Trados (working in the translation industry!) is unable to put down a usefull sentence in a living language, providing help, but prefers 8 or 10 digits codes (even with a minus sign), which against all statistical experience appear preferably on Saturdays and Sundays.

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
this is one of the things I tried Sep 26, 2007

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

If you can't remember whether you did something like this, it might be best to get a clean ttx copy of the source file and re-apply the tm and make sure you don't change anything except the actual text.

But unfortunately, the problem persists.

The error message appears only for a brief moment, the only bit I can understand is the word "tag" - the rest is indeed long codes that is of no use to me, and neither am I able to reproduce it.
I find it very strange - the "Verify" process tells me in plain English where I have made a space too much or too little - but if I have made an error so critical the file is unusable - it is impossible to tell me even the location of the problem??

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Export your TM to TMX Sep 26, 2007

and try to run TMXValidator on it. It is freeware.

http://www.maxprograms.com/EN/tmxvalidator.html

It may find something.

Antonin

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Please refer to my initial posting Sep 27, 2007

My case was about the same. Nobody could fined the reason for this non-functioning of Tageditor. It was an Indesign file, the longest file out of a group of 8 files could not be saved as target.
But I got a proper error box with the message. So I saw where the point of no return was.
If the file type is supported by SDLX or some other tool you could try to convert the translated ttx from there and clean it.
If you have Trados 2006 or later, you have also SDLX.

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Heinrich Sep 27, 2007

In the end I sent the file to the client as it was, and they managed to clean it up with some bits remaining in English that were straightened out in the review process.
But if it happens to me again, I'll try SDLX.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find the corrupt tag?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs