Mobile menu

PerfectMatch not working on a lot of segments
Thread poster: Nicole Martin

Nicole Martin
Local time: 13:06
German to English
Sep 27, 2007

I'm working with SDL Trados 2007 and Windows XP Professional. I'm dealing with files with a lot of repetitions and A LOT of segments already in the TM, so I'd like to use PerfectMatch to lock out large sections of the files.

However, I don't have previous bilingual versions of these files to compare to the new ones. So I "create" my own. My process is:

1. Take the new SGML file to be translated and have Workbench translate all the 100% matches (without segmenting the rest of the file).
2. In SDL Trados Synergy, I set up a project with the new SGML file, the TM and the .ttx file Workbench has just created as the matching "previous" bilingual file. I mark this bilingual file as Reviewed.
3. Synergy creates compares the SGML with the .ttx file, applies the PerfectMatch and does an analysis.

For the most part, this works okay. Most of the 100% segments end up being PerfectMatches. But a few always remain regulator 100% matches. Recently though, I did the same thing and PerfectMatch barely worked. Only 25% of the 100% matches were entered as PerfectMatches. The rest of them (the vast majority) were counted as regular 100% matches.

My question is: why are there always some 100% segments that don't become PerfectMatch segments, and how can I increase the number of PerfectMatch segments? I understand Trados bases PerfectMatch not just on a 100% match at the language level, but on the context for each segment too. But if I'm using the exact same file (an SGML and a pre-translated .ttx of the same file), shouldn't the context on all of those 100% matches be the same, resulting in them all being PerfectMatches?

When there are a few hundred words that don't become PerfectMatches, it's a minor annoyance. But when it's tens of thousands of words, it becomes a problem. I would appreciate any advice or help!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PerfectMatch not working on a lot of segments

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs