Mayte Vega
Mayte Vega  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 27, 2007

Hi folks!

I'm trying to open an Excel file with TagEditor.

It appears a message:

(80003): TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised.

What should I do???

Thanks in advance.

Mayte

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:28
Italian to English
In memoriam
You could try... Sep 27, 2007

... Answer 665

HTH

Giles

This is what it says:

SY
... See more
... Answer 665

HTH

Giles

This is what it says:

SYMPTOMS

Excel and PowerPoint are not available as file types in the Files of Type drop-down list of the File>Open dialog of TagEditor and WinAlign. Excel and PowerPoint file types are also not available to choose when adding files for Analysis or Clean up in the Translator's Workbench.

EXPLANATION

In this case the reference to the filter definitions file (PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml), which is located in the TRADOS 7 & TRADOS 6.5 installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T7_TM\TT\PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml) is not referenced correctly in the registry.

Follow the steps described below to rectify the problem:

STEPS

1. Run a repair installation of Trados 7/Trados 6.5 OR
2. Locate the Trados 7/Trados 6.5 installation folder (usually usually C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T7_TM\TT) and double-click the file FilterDefinitionFile.reg. Click Yes and OK to confirm the changes to the registry.

The following course of action should only be taken by proficient users who have experience editing the Windows registry:

1. Open the registry editor via Start -> Run -> enter regedit.exe and hit Enter on your keyboard.
2. Look for the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trados\Shared\Plugins\FileFilters.
3. FilterDefinitionsFilePath should contain the installation path of Trados 7/Trados 6.5 (usually C:\Program Files\TRADOS\T7_TM\TT) as string value. If this is not the case, please change the value accordingly.
4. Restart your Trados 7/Trados 6.5 application, i.e. Workbench, TagEditor or WinAlign.

[Edited at 2007-09-27 20:43]
Collapse

Catherine Eising (X)
Catherine Eising (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
SP1 for Trados 7 solves the problem Sep 28, 2007

Hallo Mayte

I had exactly the same problem and the solution in answer 665 didn't help. The problem disappeared after installing SP1 for Trados 7.

Catherine

Mayte Vega
Mayte Vega  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Sep 28, 2007

Thank you Giles and thank you Catherine!

I'll follow your suggestions and let you know. Yesterday I had to overwrite the excel files, I had no other way out. You know what the pressure of time is in our jobs.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Have a great weekend and a Happy Translators' Day!!!

(We celebrate it on Sunday, September 30 in Argentina)

Cheers,

Mayte

Joel Earnest
Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Another flavor or TE-Excel problem Oct 5, 2007

I get the 8005 error when I try to open XLS files (but not with XLSX). Am running Build 826, Office 2003 and Vista.
Error message:
(8005): Connection with server application error. The server threw an exception. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010105 (ROC_E_SERVERFAULT).

Any ideas? I've contact Online Support.

FHirrle
FHirrle
English to German
Lösung ? - solution ? Aug 7, 2008

Is there a solution of this problem ?
I get the same error-Message when starting Word-files out of synergy for workbench and tageditor.

Gibt es zu diesem Thema ein Lösung ?
Ich habe nämlich die gleiche Fehlermeldung, wenn ich aus Synergy heraus Workbench und TagEditor öffne.

Fragt,

Frieder

[Bearbeitet am 2008-08-07 14:47]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Aug 8, 2008

Hello Frieder,

This could be caused by a communication problem between Microsoft Word and TagEditor. This problem should be fixed by repairing Word. To do this, please follow these instructions:

1. Open Microsoft Word.
2. In the Help menu, choose the Detect and Repair command.
3. Once Word is repaired, try opening the document again in TagEditor.

If this does not fix your problem then your Word document may be corrupt. Please follow the instru
... See more
Hello Frieder,

This could be caused by a communication problem between Microsoft Word and TagEditor. This problem should be fixed by repairing Word. To do this, please follow these instructions:

1. Open Microsoft Word.
2. In the Help menu, choose the Detect and Repair command.
3. Once Word is repaired, try opening the document again in TagEditor.

If this does not fix your problem then your Word document may be corrupt. Please follow the instructions from the following SDL knowledge base article to help fix this problem:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2249&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor - error 80003

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »