Thread poster: François Désilets
François Désilets
François Désilets  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:01
English to French
Sep 28, 2007

Hi,

I'd like to use Trados on my laptop, but it is not equipped with a num pad...

How can I configure the keyboard to replace the "+" key used with Trados?

Thanks!
François

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
Additional Num pad Sep 28, 2007

Hi François

I use an additional USB keyboard with a Num pad on it, but you could get only the Num pad as a more 'mobile' solution.

The only other way I can think of is with the FN function keys, usually integrated in the laptop keyboard (in another colour), but that's way too much hassle.

I don't think it's possible to reconfigure Trados to accept another key.

Good luck!

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:01
Italian to English
+ ...
try a macro for a different shortcut Sep 28, 2007

Have a look at this post, courtesy of Cecilia Falk--you can set your own shortcuts: http://www.proz.com/post/462394#462394.

Best,
Amy

[Edited at 2007-09-28 15:28]

Daniel Šebesta
Daniel Šebesta  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:01
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
What do you need the + key for? Sep 28, 2007

Hi François,

I've been using Trados on my laptop for over two years now. (I don't have a desktop PC.) I use Trados for almost all of my translation projects every day and I am able to perform all functions I need even without a num pad. What do you need the + key for?

Daniel

Nicole Martin
Nicole Martin
German to English
Do you have function keys? Sep 28, 2007

I'm assuming you mean your laptop does not have a separate keypad, but it does have function keys, meaning standard keys on the keyboard (like letters) that can perform a different function when you press them together with the "function" key.

These keys have their secondary functions marked on them in another color, it's blue on my laptop (Dell). So for example in Trados, to "translate to fuzzy", I press and hold the Function key, ALT and the key with the blue asterisk. To "Set/Clo
... See more
I'm assuming you mean your laptop does not have a separate keypad, but it does have function keys, meaning standard keys on the keyboard (like letters) that can perform a different function when you press them together with the "function" key.

These keys have their secondary functions marked on them in another color, it's blue on my laptop (Dell). So for example in Trados, to "translate to fuzzy", I press and hold the Function key, ALT and the key with the blue asterisk. To "Set/Close next Open/Get", I press and hold the Function key, ALT and the key with the blue +.

This link shows a function key and standard keys with their secondary functions listed on them.

http://www.pocketnow.com/html/portal/reviews/0000000263/review/ColoredFunctionKeys_sm.jpg

I hope this applies to your laptop!
Collapse

François Désilets
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Alt + "+" Sep 28, 2007

To close the segment and open the next.

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Use the extra function button, if available Sep 28, 2007

My laptop (Acer) has an extra function button (Fn) to access the keystrokes on the num pad - they are indicated with ligth blue text in the upper right of the key. Then I just have to press Alt+Fn instead of just Alt. That way I can access "translate to fuzzy" and "close og open/get next".
It's a little more complicated, but it works.

Otherwise, I can recommend using an additional USB keyboard as suggested by Marinus. You can choose the keyboard you want and it's also nicer to
... See more
My laptop (Acer) has an extra function button (Fn) to access the keystrokes on the num pad - they are indicated with ligth blue text in the upper right of the key. Then I just have to press Alt+Fn instead of just Alt. That way I can access "translate to fuzzy" and "close og open/get next".
It's a little more complicated, but it works.

Otherwise, I can recommend using an additional USB keyboard as suggested by Marinus. You can choose the keyboard you want and it's also nicer to work on than the keyboard on the laptop.

Jørgen
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Custom hotkeys Sep 28, 2007

Please note that you can change the hotkeys, as Amy described, only in Word. For TagEditor you would need a specific automation software, e.g. described in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/post/527696

You could also go for a separate USB Numpad, as described above.
However, before you do that, I would suggest looking at some gaming accessories, such as Belkin Nostromo n52,
... See more
Please note that you can change the hotkeys, as Amy described, only in Word. For TagEditor you would need a specific automation software, e.g. described in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/post/527696

You could also go for a separate USB Numpad, as described above.
However, before you do that, I would suggest looking at some gaming accessories, such as Belkin Nostromo n52, Saitek Cyborg Command Unit etc. (there are many more). These have the advantage that you can assign the whole shortcut sequence to a specific button (e.g. Alt+Shift+Home would be Button1, etc.) which might be much easier on your fingers...

It is sometimes possible to program the USB Numpad this way, too, but it really depends on the model.
Collapse

François Désilets
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Ignore my last post... Sep 28, 2007

I had to restart Word.

Daniel Šebesta
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Toolbar icon Sep 28, 2007

François Désilets wrote:

To close the segment and open the next.

You can click the appropriate toolbar icon using your touchpad. That's what I do.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Alternative shortcut Sep 28, 2007

Instead of the standard "Alt +", use the undocumented shortcut "Alt Ctl n" for Set/Cose/Open/Get.

Daniel Šebesta
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
Thanks, Alaa! Sep 28, 2007

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

Instead of the standard "Alt +", use the undocumented shortcut "Alt Ctl n" for Set/Cose/Open/Get.

Thanks for this hint, Alaa! I hadn't know about this shortcut. It work very well.

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Alt-end / home Sep 29, 2007

When I work on my laptop I press alt-home to open the segment, then press alt-end and alt home to close it and open the next. A bit slower, but it does the trick as well.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
They're called shortcuts or (keyboard) accelerators Sep 30, 2007

When I work on my laptop I press alt-home to open the segment, then press alt-end and alt home to close it and open the next. A bit slower, but it does the trick as well.

... and they don't deserve to be called like this, if:

i) it takes two hands to do it
ii) it takes more than one key combination
iii) you have to stretch for an octave or more on the keyboard
iv) ... or use mouse as a cop-out

If this is too harsh, well, imagine being forced to the following:

i) Uppercase letters like UPPERKEY LOCK .... UPPER KEY UNLOCK
ii) Carriage return / line feed using two keys (in the correct sequence of course)

[Edited at 2007-09-30 21:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados on laptop without num pad

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »