Export TM of a existing translated document into a Translation Memory
Thread poster: Carol Chen
Carol Chen
Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:18
English to Chinese
Sep 29, 2007

Currently, I have a document which has been translated in English to Chinese. However, I have no Translation Memory for it. I want to export its Translation Memory. I'm a starter in Trados, could anybody give kindly help? Thanks in advance!

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:18
English to French
+ ...
Align the previous translation Sep 29, 2007

Hi Carol,

provided you have got the source of the former translation, you can align it, ie use either Trados WinAlign or SDLX Align to match the source and the translation.
For comfort reasons, I'd advise you to use the alignement module in SDLX, because it is way more practical than Trados WinAlign.
Open SDLX, choose Align, then select File/New alignment. Select the source file (pich the format) and the target file and then proceed with the alignment (The user guide con
... See more
Hi Carol,

provided you have got the source of the former translation, you can align it, ie use either Trados WinAlign or SDLX Align to match the source and the translation.
For comfort reasons, I'd advise you to use the alignement module in SDLX, because it is way more practical than Trados WinAlign.
Open SDLX, choose Align, then select File/New alignment. Select the source file (pich the format) and the target file and then proceed with the alignment (The user guide contains all the functions). Once all segments are properly aligned, create a TM and update it with them.
You can then either translate the file directly within SDLX or export your TM into a Trados TM to translate within Workbench.
Cheers,

Annelise
Collapse

Effie Emmanouilidou
Effie Emmanouilidou  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:18
English to Greek
If the file is a bilingual file Sep 29, 2007

Hello,

If you have "hidden text" activated in Word, you will able to see if your file is bilingual.

Then, from Trados Workbench, go to Tools > Clean up and add your file. Then press Clean up.

The TM will be updated with the translation from this file.

Hope this helps.

Effie

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
No "Align" found in SDLX Sep 29, 2007

Hi Annelise,

Thanks for your reply.I'm now using SDLX Lite.When I opened it, it shows as "SDL Edit". In the tool bar on the top, I could not find the option"Align", which I suppose in the menu of "File", like in the Deja Vu.

Regards
Carol

Annelise Meyer wrote:

Hi Carol,

Open SDLX, choose Align, then select File/New alignment. Select the source file (pich the format) and the target file and then proceed with the alignment (The user guide contains all the functions). Once all segments are properly aligned, create a TM and update it with them.
You can then either translate the file directly within SDLX or export your TM into a Trados TM to translate within Workbench.
Cheers,

Annelise

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:18
English to French
+ ...
not available in SDLX LIte Sep 29, 2007

Hi Carol,

Yes, the SDLX lite version is only a translation module, you have no other option available I think. I thought you had the freelacer version, which is why I mentionned the alignment possibility. In that case and provided you have a complete version of Trados translator's workbench, you might want to try the WinAlign module...
Regards,

Annelise

Carol Chen
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 30, 2007

Dear Annelise,

Thanks for your kindly reply!

Kind regards

Carol

Annelise Meyer wrote:

Hi Carol,

Yes, the SDLX lite version is only a translation module, you have no other option available I think. I thought you had the freelacer version, which is why I mentionned the alignment possibility. In that case and provided you have a complete version of Trados translator's workbench, you might want to try the WinAlign module...
Regards,

Annelise

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export TM of a existing translated document into a Translation Memory

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »