https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/85439-can_i_still_purchase_sdl_trados_2006_freelance.html

can I still purchase SDL Trados 2006 Freelance?
Thread poster: monzd
monzd
monzd  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
English to Spanish
Oct 2, 2007

I'm interested in purchasing SDL Trados Freelance package. I have read many negatives comments about version 2007, so I'm wondering if I still can buy SDL Trados 2006 Freelance. Do you think this would be possible and if it is a good idea?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

[Edited at 2007-10-02 18:19]

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
English
SDL TRADOS 2007 Freelance Oct 2, 2007

Hi

When you buy SDL Trados 2007 FL you also can download SDL Trados 2006 FL.

With the node locked license of SDL Trados 2007 Freelance you will be able to run SDL Trados 2006 Freelance.

Cheers

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Beware Oct 2, 2007

Hi

I think you can still buy the 2006 version, however you should first cconsider the fact that SDL Trados 2006 does not support Windows Vista or Office 2007. So if you are already using any of these programs or intending to change your computer soon, I'd recommend you buy the 2007 version.
Though there are come issues with this version, I've been working with it quite seamlessly for 6 months now and I still have not thrown my computer through the window so... you should be O
... See more
Hi

I think you can still buy the 2006 version, however you should first cconsider the fact that SDL Trados 2006 does not support Windows Vista or Office 2007. So if you are already using any of these programs or intending to change your computer soon, I'd recommend you buy the 2007 version.
Though there are come issues with this version, I've been working with it quite seamlessly for 6 months now and I still have not thrown my computer through the window so... you should be OK

Cheers,

Annelise
Collapse

monzd
monzd  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!! Oct 2, 2007

Hi Rykardo and Annelise,

Thanks for the info, it helps a lot. I will probably purchase the 2007 version.

Cheers!
Mon

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados 2007 and especially MultiTerm 2007 can not yet be recommended. Oct 4, 2007

Hi

You may have to start with Trados 2007 if you're running Vista, especially if you will be using Office 2007, but if you want to use MultiTerm 2007 there really is no way you can get it all to work without constant crashes, database errors, even data loss.

The most stable and reliable solution appears to be MultiTerm 7 and Trados 7.5 in a Windows XP SP2 plus MS Office 2003 environment.

Remember I told you so ;o)

SDL will not be pleased with t
... See more
Hi

You may have to start with Trados 2007 if you're running Vista, especially if you will be using Office 2007, but if you want to use MultiTerm 2007 there really is no way you can get it all to work without constant crashes, database errors, even data loss.

The most stable and reliable solution appears to be MultiTerm 7 and Trados 7.5 in a Windows XP SP2 plus MS Office 2003 environment.

Remember I told you so ;o)

SDL will not be pleased with this development, because the most important change in Trados 2007 is the new activation, which obviously is what they are interested in most, as it means that you cannot use the program on various computers (and can't pass it on to a friend) anymore.

It's all about the money, as usual.

Still, SDL Support will help you, even if it may take a day or two. If you're a beginner consider buying a Support agreement.

Good luck!
Collapse

Giuseppe C.
Giuseppe C.  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Would you please give more details? Oct 5, 2007

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

most important change in Trados 2007 is the new activation, which obviously is what they are interested in most, as it means that you cannot use the program on various computers

Do you mean that a translator working on different computers + notebook should buy more than one SDL Trados 2007 fl licence as it happens with Microsoft products?
With my current Trados 2006 softkey licence, the only limitation is working on one computer at a time. Since I have multiple computers connected to my LAN in different rooms, would upgrading to SDL Trados 2007 mean buying multiple licences with an activation on line procedure, even if I am the only freelancer using that software?

Thanks

[Edited at 2007-10-05 06:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can I still purchase SDL Trados 2006 Freelance?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »