Mobile menu

How to translate an Excel file in Tag Editor 6.5
Thread poster: cecile_warrot
Local time: 21:34
English to French
+ ...
Oct 10, 2007

Dear All,

I have received an Excel file to translate.

I am used to using Trados 6.5 but have never worked with Tag editor before.

Could somebody explain how to convert the Excel file to translate it with Tag Editor? AND what should I do when the translation is finished to send the translation as an Excel file?

Thank you very much for your help.

Cécile Warrot.

[Edited at 2007-10-10 17:20]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-10-10 17:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There is a tutorial about file formats in you installation Oct 10, 2007

The procedure is explained there in detail. But personally I always copy the content to a Word file and translate it there, then copy it back. I would miss Word spellchecker in Excel.

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Which build? Oct 10, 2007

Hi Cécile,

If your build of Trados 6.5 handles Excel files directly in Tag Editor, you have nothing special to do : open TagEditor, browse to the excel file, translate as usually, and clean up in the end.

To check if your build handles Excel directly, please look at this topic, everything has been explained:

If your build is not high enough, you should update it.
Another possibility is to use the good old "T-Windows for Excel", but it is definitely not that user-friendly, so go for the update if you can.

Local time: 14:34
English to Spanish
Easy... Oct 10, 2007

As Cecile says:
Start TagEditor, browse the Excel file (this opens on TagEditor), translate, and when finished, you just Save Target As.... Close TagEditor, open the Excel file... and the miracle is done! Your Excel file will appear translated. That means that you don't have to clean anything.

While translating, if you want to see how is your Excel doing, close the last segment, just save, and, on the tabs at the bottom, push "Preview, and you'll see what you're doing on the Excel file.

Easy, no?

[Edited at 2007-10-11 13:13]

Cristina Casas Peregrina  Identity Verified
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Cannot save target Tag Editor file back as Excel Feb 8, 2008

When I try to save the translated Tag Editor file as 'Save target as' Excel, I get an error message:

Unable to find file ... at folder ...
Please copy the file back in that folder.

Do you know that the problem is?

Thanks in advance for your fast response!!!

Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
Source file required for "Save target as ..." Feb 10, 2008

Hi Cristina,

To use "Save target as ..." in the TagEditor you have to have (a copy of) the original Excel file in the same folder as your .xls.ttx file. (Be sure not to change the name of the file. If you want change the name to indicate that it is the translated version, do so afterwards.) The TagEditor writes over this file with the translated version, so be sure you have a copy of the source file saved somewhere else.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate an Excel file in Tag Editor 6.5

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs