Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:59
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2007

Hello,

I am experiencing a 'strange' problem and was hoping someone could perhaps help me. I am not an advanced Trados user, so please bear with me. (I am using SDL TRADOS 2006 Freeleance and Windows Vista, Word 2003)

A client sent me 3 Word documents to translate. I translated the first one with TRADOS as usual, cleaned it, no problems. Then I opened the second file, opened the first translation unit, set it, but when it moved to the next unit the translated text AND the source text of the first unit stayed visible, even after clicking 'show/hide hidden text'.

I translated the second unit, but when I wanted to set it the source AND target text stayed visible again and the next unit did not get opened, the curser just moved to the bottom of the first page and nothing else happened. Clicking on Get Next etc. did nothing. I closed the document, discarged the changes and tried the third document where the same problem occurred.

I have never seen anything like this before and don't know what is happening.

What could be the problem with the documents that causes TRADOS not to work? I cannot translate these documents like this and it is quite an urgent job, so I am at at my wits' end.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[Edited at 2007-10-12 07:54]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:59
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use TageEditor Oct 12, 2007

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A. wrote:

Hello,

I am experiencing a 'strange' problem and was hoping someone could perhaps help me. I am not an advanced Trados user, so please bear with me. (I am using SDL TRADOS 2006 Freeleance and Windows Vista, Word 2003)

A client sent me 3 Word documents to translate. I translated the first one with TRADOS as usual, cleaned it, no problems. Then I opened the second file, opened the first translation unit, set it, but when it moved to the next unit the translated text AND the source text of the first unit stayed visible, even after clicking 'show/hide hidden text'.

I translated the second unit, but when I wanted to set it the source AND target text stayed visible again and the next unit did not get opened, the curser just moved to the bottom of the first page and nothing else happened. Clicking on Get Next etc. did nothing. I closed the document, discarged the changes and tried the third document where the same problem occurred.

I have never seen anything like this before and don't know what is happening.

What could be the problem with the documents that causes TRADOS not to work? I cannot translate these documents like this and it is quite an urgent job, so I am at at my wits' end.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[Edited at 2007-10-12 07:54]

Hi Nicole,

Sounds to me that you might have damaged a tag somewhere, make sure that the tag protection is on.
If you're in the Word UI, sometimes it can be helpful to switch and work in TagEditor instead.
Spontaneously, I think that the official Trados support could help you better over the phone, if you have access to that service?!

/Jan

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
just a visualisation problem + work-around suggestion Oct 12, 2007

Hello,

I am experiencing a 'strange' problem

AND the source text of the first unit stayed visible, even after clicking 'show/hide hidden text'.

Hi Nicole
I know the problem, but as far as I can make out with you it's also just a visualisation problem - Trados is working, but I agree it is a pain to read like that.
To get round it in Word 2000 I select Tools - Options and then in the View tab deselect everything in the Formatting section.

Unfortunately Word doesn't always behave itself and puts the ticks back (GRR!) and so I sometimes have to repeat this quite often! In fact I have resorted to putting a custom button on my toolbar to do it without too many clicks...

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:59
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
missing tag Oct 12, 2007

Thanks for your replies.

Jan, I have tried it in Tag Editor and after each single segment I get a pop up saying a Tag is missing in the Target segment. I am not really sure how to fix this though but I will just continue translating the file manually.

Anthony, I will try your suggestion next but Trados is actually not working, only for the very first segment, any subsequent ones won't open, I only get the oh so annoying "ping" sound and nothing happens.

Have a good weekend everyone!

[Edited at 2007-10-12 19:39]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Only open untouched Word file in TE Oct 15, 2007

Jan, I have tried it in Tag Editor and after each single segment I get a pop up saying a Tag is missing in the Target segment. I am not really sure how to fix this though but I will just continue translating the file manually.

Anthony, I will try your suggestion next but Trados is actually not working, only for the very first segment, any subsequent ones won't open, I only get the oh so annoying "ping" sound and nothing happens.
[Edited at 2007-10-12 19:39]

When you opened the Word file in TE, was it the same file that you had started translated first?

Because a "fresh" untouched Word file doesn't contain any tags, and TE wouldn't be able to complain about missing target segments. Can you confirm this?

/Jan

Bettina Schewe  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 00:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some ideas that might help Oct 31, 2007

Hi!
My answer may come a little late for your urgent job, but I just wanted to tell you a little about my experience in case it helps. This sort of things have happened to me several times, and I have come to the conclusion that sometimes Word documents have some hidden issues that we can´t see but that Trados just doesnt like. Here are some suggestions:

1. Try the "fix document" option in the Trados menu above the Word toolbar.

2. Click the Paragraph icon and see if there is a change of section. This happens very often when someone has created the Word file from a pdf file. Sometimes when you erase it, Trados works again, but this may cause some layout issues.

3. Select the text, copy it and paste it to a new Word file. (This may also be a solution when Trados cannot clean-up a file!)

4. Go to tools/options and untick hidden text. Check the Word file again. You may find that there are some hyperlinks (that you saw before as inserted images) and when you erase them, Trados works again normally. You may have to paste them back on the clean copy, though, so make sure you kept a copy of the original file.

These are all different options, and not a 4 step instruction. Please note that I use Word in Spanish, so some terms I used may not be exactly the same in the English Word version.

I hope this helps!
Good luck!
Bettina

Seprotec
Local time: 21:59
Member (2007)
Where is the fix document option? Nov 14, 2007

Can you elaborate a bit further where that option to fix the doc is located in the Trados menu?
I am experiencing a similar problem and don´t know how to solve it...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Word Doc in Trados 2006

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs