Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:39
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 12, 2007

Hello,
Trados Workbench 2006, Word 2003, Windows XP.
I've got half way through the document, and when I try and open a new segment, I can't. It just highlights the next letter.
Please help if you can!
Regards,

Carlos.

elicat
elicat
Local time: 02:39
English to Italian
+ ...
any missing/erased code? Oct 13, 2007

Did you check if any code is missing before the Translation Unit you cannot open? You should have {0> (hidden characters) at the beginning of the unit to be translated. If any of these characters is missing, the TU will not open. In this case, you should have an error message in the low bar of Workbench. If this is the problem, to fix it I usually delete the whole file, get the copy source file (hope you saved a copy of the source file) and quickly translate it with the Translate to Fuzzy. Other... See more
Did you check if any code is missing before the Translation Unit you cannot open? You should have {0> (hidden characters) at the beginning of the unit to be translated. If any of these characters is missing, the TU will not open. In this case, you should have an error message in the low bar of Workbench. If this is the problem, to fix it I usually delete the whole file, get the copy source file (hope you saved a copy of the source file) and quickly translate it with the Translate to Fuzzy. Otherwise, you could try to copy the missing code from another safe Translation Unit and paste it at the beginning of the damaged unit.Collapse

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:39
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't CREATE a NEW segment Oct 13, 2007

Thanks for replying,
Sorry, I should have said that I am having difficulty CREATING a NEW segment. It is just text in word, so there is no "{0>". When I click on "Open/Get", all that happens is that the next letter gets highlighted, and there is no error message in Trados.

elicat
elicat
Local time: 02:39
English to Italian
+ ...
no idea...sorry Oct 13, 2007

I see. This never occurred to me, but I see that someone else had a similar problem:
http://www.proz.com/topic/68356
http://www.proz.com/topic/78023
Unfortunately no solution is given in these topics...
Sorry, good luck

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Fix document Oct 14, 2007

Have you tried the "FIX DOCUMENT" option in the tools bar?
Some people say it is "magical" because it somehow sorts ou the weirdest problems.

Good luck!

Mónica

Xiangdong Zhuo
Xiangdong Zhuo
China
Local time: 08:39
English to Chinese
try this Oct 14, 2007

You may simply copy the whole texts of Word file to a new Word file.

This problem sometimes raised from a particular format on the segment. Sometimes there is no clue anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can't open new segment

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »