Sp and Fr to En  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:18
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 13, 2007

Trados 2006, Word 2003, Windows XP.
I have got half-way through the translation and when I click on "Open/Get" (in an attempt to create a new Translation Unit for a piece of text which I have not yet translated), a new unit is not created. It just highlights the next letter and there is no error message on the Trados screen.
Any help much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 11:18
Italian to French
+ ...
Can Trados create it automatically? Oct 13, 2007

I suppose there are translated segments before this segment you cannot edit...

Try to open a segment normally before the passage concerned. Then, use another button, the Open/Save/Get the Other.
(The one with the arrow in center with two red arrows in bold).
Normally Trados will close the segment you're on and open the next one automatically.

You can try also the button Translate to Fuzzy.

If the problem remains, try to get Word to display paragraphs marks, you may see the little thing disturbing Trados. (A break, a tab, a punctuation mistake or an unneccessary space...)

Hope it helps

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Restore document Oct 13, 2007

Have you tried the "restore document" option (Alt+Ctrl+U)?

Martin Wenzel
Local time: 05:18
English to German
+ ...
Cut out a little Oct 14, 2007

further ahead from where you are, make sure you see the tags and cut out the segment with the tags by using ctrl x. Then restore document.

If the problem persists, you can do a clean up of your "virgin" source document and see if you get an error message in the log file.

I always do a trial clean-up of documents I consider problematic before I start...

PS. You may have inadvertently damaged your word file, hence starting with your virgin file is a good idea, too. All your previous translations will be in the memory.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can't create new Translation Unit

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs