Mobile menu

Restore pre-translated TagEditor files?
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:19
English to Swedish
Oct 16, 2007

Hi,
Some of my customers keeps on on sending me pre-translated TagEditor files, although I constantly ask them not to, as I want full control over the whole process.

As there is no keyboard shortcut for Get Translation in TagEditor it gets quite tedious to click the Get Translation button when something has been changed in the TM.

In short: My question is if there is a quick and easy way to get rid of the pre-translations in a TTX file? In Word I would just run a few macros.

I have Tag Editor 6.5.

Best regards,
Cecilia

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicole Martin
Local time: 19:19
German to English
There is a keyboard shortcut Oct 16, 2007

Press "Alt", "Shift" and "Insert" (Just like the "Copy source" shortcut, but you also press Shift).

I'm working with SDL Trados 2007, I don't remember if that shortcut was available in earlier versions.

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Keyboard shortcut Oct 16, 2007

Nicole Dequin wrote:
I'm working with SDL Trados 2007, I don't remember if that shortcut was available in earlier versions.

The shortcut wasn't available in TagEditor 6.5.

One possible solution is AutoHotKey. It's a tool for creating keyboard macros.

English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
AutoHotkey Oct 16, 2007

Thanks Hynek,
I have downloaded AutoHotkey and will try it out at once!

Best regards,
Cecilia

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Editing ttx Oct 16, 2007

I suppose that it would also be possible to edit the ttx files directly. The best way, I think, would be to use a PERL script, but I suppose a text editor (with Unicode and regular expressions might do the job - you can also do it in Word, if you open the file as a text file).

However, this is not always straightforward and might depend to a certain extent on the actual files (e.g. their source file format). Basically, you need to eliminate the tag <Tuv Lang="Target"> with its content (everything between that tag and </Tuv>, then get rid of the remaining <Tuv> and <Tu> tags.

The advantage is that if you come up with a working solution, it would work for all future files, with possible automation (e.g. Word macro; with a PERL script you could even do several files at once).

[Edited at 2007-10-16 16:35]

English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Conclusion Oct 17, 2007

Thank you, Jabberwock,
I did some experimenting, and it seems to work.
I could not open the TTX file in Word as text or Unicode (full of garbled characters), so I opened the file in Notepad.
I then pasted the text into Word, and ran a few macros to get rid of the text you indicated. Then I saved it as Unicode with a ttx extension.
The resulting TTX could be opened without problem in TagEditor (all pre-translations gone), and translated as usual.

I only did this on a test file, and have not sent it to the client. The next time I get pre-translated files I will try this method, and ask the client to verify that the files converted back to inx no problem.

Regarding Auto Hotkey it seems very interesting, but I realised it needed some time to investigate, which I certainly will at a later stage.

Thank you all!

Best regards,
Cecilia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Restore pre-translated TagEditor files?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs