Mobile menu

Trados 2006 Freelance: adding 6th language?
Thread poster: Nathalya

Nathalya  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 16, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I am currently working with Trados 2006 Freelance and added Dutch, French, German, English and Russian as working languages.

However, as I often work with Italian, I recently got a request from a company asking me to participate in a large project, on the condition that I use Trados.

Question: is it possible to add an extra language in Trados? I cannot imagine I'd have to buy Trados a second time just because I need to work with one extra language??

Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Nathalie Verbeken

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sixth language Oct 16, 2007

The five-language limit is one of the things that distinguishes freelance version of Trados from the agency version. On the agency version, you can set up unlimited language pairs.

Workarounds for the freelance version:

If you have two computers and your version of Trados allows you to use Freelance on multiple computers, I think you can have different language sets installed on each machine.

If you have only one PC, the only solution I can think of (and it's a pain) is to uninstall and reinstall Trados and select different languages during installation.

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Same problem here Oct 16, 2007

As I have to deal with combinations in 7 languages have tried to divide them between my pc and laptop which is no ideal solution.

Have mailed SDL Trados asking them whether it is possible to buy 2 extra languages for my freelance version as the professional version is too expensive. Still no answer.

I still don't understand why does someone have to pay for the freelance version of SDL Trados (limited to 5 languages) almost the same price as for the professional version of DVX (no language limitation)?

Regards,
Sherefedin

[Edited at 2007-10-16 18:53]

Nathalya  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Negative feature... Oct 16, 2007

Find it quite a negative feature. It is indeed an expensive purchase already, and I don't see why we should be limited to only five languages..?

One of the five language pairs I have installed (Russian-Dutch) I hardly ever use at the moment, so I've had suggestions of colleagues to de-install Trados, download it again and reinstall it with Italian instead of Russian. Not the best workaround, but since I am not at home right now and I don't have my second computer at hand, this seems to be the only thing I can do.

I also wrote to the support centre of SDL, asking them if I can purchase an extra language pair. Wonder what they'll answer...

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Pls let me know Oct 16, 2007

Nathalya wrote:

I also wrote to the support centre of SDL, asking them if I can purchase an extra language pair. Wonder what they'll answer...

I’d really appreciate if you post their answer on this topic… suppose there are other prozians dealing with the same inconvenience.

TIA
Sherefedin

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Hear, hear Oct 16, 2007

Freelancer - read: an individual - beeing able to deal with more than 5 languages, meaning more than 25 language pairs... I must admit I feel myself very small with my single language pair.
The solution to your problems is called SDL Trados Pro, which has no limits in language pairs, and is originally intended for LSPs.

Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
A virtual PC? Oct 16, 2007

Depending on the HW power of your machine, a virtual PC might be a viable option. I am not sure what Trados licence conditions say or intend to say on virtual machines, though...

Antonin

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:00
English to Indonesian
+ ...
another option: switch out of trados Oct 17, 2007

with pro one at three times the price of freelance version, (i.e. freelance at usd995 and pro at usd2995) i think it is worth the hassle of installing and uninstalling it...
another option would be to use other cat tool for the rarely used language.

[Edited at 2007-10-17 03:53]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:00
Flemish to English
+ ...
Trado$ Oct 17, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Freelancer - read: an individual - beeing able to deal with more than 5 languages, meaning more than 25 language pairs... I must admit I feel myself very small with my single language pair.
The solution to your problems is called SDL Trados Pro, which has no limits in language pairs, and is originally intended for LSPs.

Jerzy

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Jerzy

Trado$ is like Micro$oft.
Every move, you make, you pay... The limit to 5 languages has been introduced to make you pay more if you want to introduce more language combinations. From a programming point of view not that difficult, but interesting from a money-generating point of view. Version 7 is barely on the market or 7.5 is marketed. After you have bought 7.5 and you think your are up to date v8.0 appears.
----
Between [ ]
Some of those freelancers took the trouble to go to a T&I-school, where you are obliged to take two foreign languages of which you will see all the aspects. Nowadays, an Erasmus-year is an option.
Most of those schools offer a third language. I happened to go to the same school as the poster, took English and Spanish and as an optional third language Portuguese, because it is a language closely related to Spanish. Nowadays at that school they offer Swedish and Turkish as third language. To succeed in exams you had to be able to translate both ways. It was called "thema" and "versio".
If you grow up in a bilingual country, studied in Brussels (where the Erasmushogeschool is situated) and happened to come into daily contact with French, it is normal that you assimilate French. Language number four.
Und wenn man zufällig verpflichtet in Urlaub ging bei einem damaligen Militärstaatsanwaltschaft Neheim in der Nähe von Arnsberg (NRW) und da seine Wehrpflicht leistete als Übersetzer/Dolmetscher kommt man an Sprache Nummer 5. Und wie viel ist das Quadrat von 5? Or do you just have to forget the languages you know? Do not practise and polish what you know by using these languages on a daily basis. Put an effort in acquiring them, but don't use them. No ROI ?
Besides what is translation? Transposing a text from one language into a target-language with the correct semantics (vocabulary - be it medical, technical,...) and syntax so that it reads like it has been written by a native. Not some kind of Harry Potter-magic using a Trado$ as a magic stick i.e. have Trados-will translate.

[Edited at 2007-10-17 07:37]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Team/Pro versions pre-date Freelance Oct 17, 2007

Correction, if I may...
The limit to 5 languages has been introduced to make you pay more if you want to introduce more language combinations.

No doubt the five-language limit is somewhat arbitrary. However, it is worth noting that the introduction of Freelance versions, in fact, worked the other way around. Prior to T3.x (IIRC), there was only the full version (i.e. the predecessor of what became the 'Team' or 'Pro' version). At the time, a license was around 2,000 euros - Freelance was introduced to offer a cheaper version, with some limitations to usage (to me, a rather obvious move from a business perspective).

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2006 Freelance: adding 6th language?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs