Mobile menu

How do I create a tag settings file for Tag Editor?
Thread poster: Nora Diaz

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:18
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 16, 2007

I'm new to creating tag settings files, so I'll try to explain myself as best I can.

A client has sent me an xml file where the text looks like this:

The parts in quotation marks, namely "130" and "Use Data" are the parts I need to translate.

When attempting to open the file, Tag Editor says "This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE delcaration/root element "DEGEM_Translation". A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type. Would you like to specify the settings file now?"

I click yes, then New, but then I have no idea what I should do. My attempts have resulted in an "all tag" file, where the entire text is seen as part of the tag.

Is it possible to create tag settings to isolate the text I need to translate?

Can someone with experience in this please walk me through the process?

Thanks in advance,

Nora

Direct link Reply with quote

Satu Ilva  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:18
English to Finnish
+ ...
Example doesn't show Oct 17, 2007

It would be easier if I could see your example

In general, you can start the definition when you have nothing open in TagEditor by selecting Tools/Tag Settings, then New. In the wizard you will be given the option to import settings, if you are working with an xml file you can just let the program scan the tags and then define later in the wizard how they should be treated. You need a root element (the first tag that encloses the entire file), but the scan will attempt to pick that for you anyway.

If I could see the example I could tell you if there are likely to be any more complications...

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops! Oct 17, 2007

Hi, Satu,

I didn't realize the example was MIA. I copy/pasted it before, so I'll retype it and hope it shows this time:

Basically what I have to figure out is how to make sure that

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:18
English to German
+ ...
Avoid pointed brackets Oct 17, 2007

Hi Nora,
You will need to leave out the pointed brackets; the forum software interprets these as tags. I have replaced them with ordinary brackets:

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hi, Satu,

I didn't realize the example was MIA. I copy/pasted it before, so I'll retype it and hope it shows this time:

(DEGEM_ObjNum="130" Trans_Text="Use data" /)

Basically what I have to figure out is how to make sure that (DEGEM_ObjNum= and Trans_Text= are marked as untranslatable tags, and the text "130" and "Use data" are marked as translatable.

So far, due to my ignorance on the matter and current lack of time to dive into the manuals, all I've achieved is to make the whole thing untranslatable, basically the entire line appears enclosed within a tag.

Thanks!

HTH, Ralf

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 17, 2007

Thank you, Ralf!

xxxOlaf
Local time: 05:18
English to German
Why don't you try to translate it in Word? Oct 17, 2007

If all you need to translate is strings enclosed by quotation marks, I'd recommend that you rename your file from filename.xml to filename.xml.txt and open it in Word. Then use the Trados tw4winPrepareRC.Main macro to mark everything inside of quotation marks as translatable.

Olaf

Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Olaf Oct 18, 2007

I didn't know that was an option. I don't usually work with xml files.

Alternatively, Satu kindly helped me figure out how to set the tags. I'm pasting her explanation below in case it may help someone else:

Ok, a little trickier than an xml file with end tags, but doable.

First, do what I suggested originally: open TagEditor with no file open and go to Tools/Tag Settings and select New. Give the settings a name (doesn't matter what, just so you recognise them) and keep "New settings for XML" selected. Int the next page, click Import and select the xml file you need to translate. The program will give you a list of elements it found; just accept it. Move on in the wizard until you get to Elements and Attributes. Select DEGEM_Obj and click properties. Select the attributes tab and select the tick mark next to Trans_Text. When you press OK, you should now see Trans_Text listed as a translatable attribute next to DEGEM_Obj. Finish the wizard and save the settings file somewhere (I'd keep it with the project).
File name doesn't matter, just pick something relevant.

Now when you open the xml file in TagEditor you should see the Trans_Text attributes as translatable text. If there are other attributes you need to translate, do the same for those when you edit the translatable attributes list.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I create a tag settings file for Tag Editor?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs