Mobile menu

Is Trados 5.5 compatible with Trados 6.5 Freelance?
Thread poster: Brunsk
Brunsk
Local time: 05:30
English to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

Hello!

My problem is that I have Trados 6.5 Freelance and an MS Word 2003 installed on my computer, but my new employer uses Trados 5.5 and Word 2000, and they demand I change my software.

I asked them if I could use my version of Trados, but they weren't sure if it would be compatible with theirs.

I can't get an older version of Word at the moment, but it's high time I started translation, if I want to finish it on time.

Yes, I'm aware it was stupid to sign the agreement without asking about the technical specifications, but the real question is whether the two versions are compatible. Will they be able to import the uncleaned text? Will the tags be ok?

In advance, I thank you for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:30
English to German
+ ...
Should be possible - try it with a test file Oct 18, 2007

Hi "Brunsk",

My problem is that I have Trados 6.5 Freelance and an MS Word 2003 installed on my computer, but my new employer uses Trados 5.5 and Word 2000, and they demand I change my software.

What I don't understand is why your employer does not provide the necessary software. Or will you be working for them as a freelancer (in which case they're not employing you)?

I asked them if I could use my version of Trados, but they weren't sure if it would be compatible with theirs.

I can't get an older version of Word at the moment, but it's high time I started translation, if I want to finish it on time.

Yes, I'm aware it was stupid to sign the agreement without asking about the technical specifications, but the real question is whether the two versions are compatible. Will they be able to import the uncleaned text? Will the tags be ok?

What you can do in any case is to provide them with a TM export, which they will be able to import without problems. Also, Word 2000 can open Word files edited with Word 2003.

To be on the safe side, just translate half a page and ask them to test it.

Best regards,
Ralf

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Trados5.5 is not compatible with Word 2003 Oct 18, 2007

Hello,

I think your main problem will be that Trados 5.5 does not support Word 2003, since this version is way too old, so I'm afraid you won't be able to translate the project unless you get Word 2000 as well.
It is possible to have both versions of Trados installed on the same computer: all you have to do is choose the appropriate template in Word to use the version of Trados you want to use. But you won't be able to translate within Word 2003 with Workbench 5.5...

Hope you find a solution...
Cheers,

Annelise

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Correction, if I may... Oct 18, 2007

Hi Annelise,

I think your main problem will be that Trados 5.5 does not support Word 2003, since this version is way too old, so I'm afraid you won't be able to translate the project unless you get Word 2000 as well.

True: you cannot use T5.x with Office 2003. What I would suggest in this case is to keep working with T6.5 and Office 2003, and to exchange unclean Word files and exports.

It is possible to have both versions of Trados installed on the same computer: all you have to do is choose the appropriate template in Word to use the version of Trados you want to use.

That approach is likely to run into problems due to conflicts regarding the software components registered with the operating system (this does not only affect the Word template, but numerous DLLs as well, for example). What you need to do is to use the Register option available in the respective program group.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados 5.5 compatible with Trados 6.5 Freelance?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs