Thread poster: George ABRAHAM
George ABRAHAM  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:52
French to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

Hello,
I have the following problem when using Translator Workbench 7.1 with Word 2003: because I am using a large translation memory (340.000 translation units), when I look up terms, not all translations appear in the concordance window. For example, when looking up "tenue en fatigue", the units that I translated recently do not show up, whereas older TUs are found. I have tried "Show most recent TU first", with no luck.
Can somebody shed light on this issue, please?

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Reorganise Oct 18, 2007

Hi!

Try File, Reorganise TM. This usually works.
Regards
Marina

George ABRAHAM  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 15:52
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
does not work Oct 18, 2007

Marina Soldati wrote:

Hi!

Try File, Reorganise TM. This usually works.
Regards
Marina

I have tried this solution, but the TM seems to be looking for the first 50 or 99 entries from the oldest to the newest one, sorts them and it shows them to me. If my entry is beyond that number, it isn't shown. So new entries that go beyond the maximum number of hits are not shown. No luck. In conclusion, when searching, Workbench does not start with the newest entry, but with the oldest one.

Stefan Gentz
Local time: 14:52
English to German
+ ...
Beyond Concordance Search ... Oct 19, 2007

Hello "killian_ro",

killian_ro wrote:
I have tried this solution, but the TM seems to be looking for the first 50 or 99 entries from the oldest to the newest one, sorts them and it shows them to me.

TRADOS Workbench shows you up to 99 hits. This is by design and in most use cases this will fit for customers needs in a "normal" translation process.
You can contol the number of maximum hits in > Workbench > "Options" > "Translation Memory Options" > tab "Concordance" > "Maximum number of hits (1-99)".
However, please also note, that Concordance search will not give you all results: The matches must have at least have a "Minimum match value" of 30%. Otherwise they will be not displayed at all.

If my entry is beyond that number, it isn't shown. So new entries that go beyond the maximum number of hits are not shown. No luck. In conclusion, when searching, Workbench does not start with the newest entry, but with the oldest one.

You can show most recent translation units first by activating the coressponding setting: In > Workbench > "Options" > "Translation Memory Options" > tab "Concordance" > section "Switches" > activate "Show most recent translation units first".

Sophisticated Global Search
If you need to find more than a maximum of 99 hits (e.g. all Translation Units in you Translation Memory containing a specific character, word, phrase or number) go to > Workbench > "File" > "Maintenance..." The dialog "Translation Memory Maintenance" opens. Now click the button "Filter...". In the "Filter Dialog" select in the List Box "Field list:" on the lower left your source or target language under "[Segments]" depending on where you want to search. In the Text Box "Criterion:" type in the word you want to search (and wrap it into asterixes to find all TUs containing the search term).

Follow this instruction for advanced search capabilities:

• Text Found Translation Units must contain precisely this text and no other text.

• Text* Found Translation Units must begin with this text.

• *text Found Translation Units must end with this text.

• *text* Found Translation Units must contain this text somewhere in its contents.

• ?text Found Translation Units must contain this text, preceded by any single character. You can increase the number of question marks to indicate any sequence of characters of corresponding length.

• ?text? Found Translation Units must contain this text, preceded and followed by any single character. You can increase the number of question marks to indicate any sequence of characters of corresponding length.

• !*text* None of the segments or fields referred to may contain this text.

Now click "OK", "Reset Search", "Begin Search". You can set "Translation units processed at a time" to 99 and browse through more results with the "<< Previous" and "Next >>" Buttons.

Please note that the Criterion feature is case-sensitive.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz

Laura Porcelli
Local time: 08:52
Thanks Jul 9, 2008

Just wanted to let you know that this post helped me so much solving this problem.
Thanks!
Laura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new translation units not showing up

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs