Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:17
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2007

Hi all,

I think we came across a bug in TagEditor. I'm running Trados 7.5.0.756 with Office 2003.

I have a Word doc with index entries (recognized by curly brackets and the code "xe").

When I open this doc in TWB, everything looks fine and I can translate the index entry. This is well documented in chapter 8-9 of:
http://new.translationzone.com/en/Images/FileFormatsRef_en_tcm18-754.pdf

BUT: when I open the same source doc in TE instead, the index entry is not parsed correctly. It is replaced by a red (internal) tag saying: field/. The xe code is gone, as is the translatable content in the tag.

Did anyone else experience this?!
Is there a problem with the Filter Settings, or can I alter the settings anywhere else to make TE understand?

TIA,

Jan

[Edited at 2007-10-18 14:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bump Oct 19, 2007

Any takers?
Noone has any experience of {xe} field codes in Word?!

/Jan

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
The index field content is found *after* the paragraph. Oct 20, 2007

Hello,

I have checked this with both Word 2003 (.doc) and Word 2007 (.docx) in SDL TRADOS 2007, SP1 (826). For both formats it works fine.

Please note, that the index field is always represented by an internal <field/> element tag. This is only a "Field Placeholder". Word allows the user to place user-definable fields at any point within the text. The text of a index marker usually has to be translated. During the conversion from DOC/DOCX to TTX TagEditor extracts the marker text from its original position in the DOC file to the end of the paragraph in which it was found. This is for translation purposes only.

After the corresponding paragraph with the field you will find new lines, with the translatable field content:

<paragraph>
This is my sentence with the <field/>Index Field.
</paragraph>
<fieldinfo type="0x4">
 <fieldstart type="0x4"/>
  <codecontent>
   <text text=" XE ""/>
    <translatablecontent>
     This is the index field content
    </translatablecontent>
   <text text="" "/>
  </codecontent>
 <fieldend info="0x0"/>
</fieldinfo>

This is expected/intended behaviour. The index field content forms a cohesive, self-contained Translation Unit (TU) independent from the sentence carrying the index field. You might say, the sentence is the parent translation unit and the index field is a nested child translation unit. That said, it is hopefully comprehensible, that it was necessary to separate ("outsource") the nested child translation unit from the parent TU, as nested translation units do not make sense.

Besides, this is also know behaviour from the FrameMaker MIF <-> TTX process.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Gentz

[Bearbeitet am 2007-10-20 11:24]

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TE is case sensitive! Oct 22, 2007

Stefan Gentz wrote:
During the conversion from DOC/DOCX to TTX TagEditor extracts the marker text from its original position in the DOC file to the end of the paragraph in which it was found.

This is expected/intended behaviour. The index field content forms a cohesive, self-contained Translation Unit (TU) independent from the sentence carrying the index field. You might say, the sentence is the parent translation unit and the index field is a nested child translation unit. That said, it is hopefully comprehensible, that it was necessary to separate ("outsource") the nested child translation unit from the parent TU, as nested translation units do not make sense.

Thanks a lot Stefan, that explains a lot.

But my conclusion is now that I found a bug in TE.
We received an old Word file, where the index fields were formatted in lower case: {xe}.

In this case, the word will not show up as translatable, but misparsed as "red/grey tag content" in TE.
I know that Word sets the markers in upper case when using recent versions, but Word is more forgiving and allows lower case "xe" too, which some writers apparently use.

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-10-22 12:39]

[Edited at 2007-10-22 12:39]

Alexandra Davidson
English to German
+ ...
Or the spacing in the index entries is not according to MS standards Oct 23, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

But my conclusion is now that I found a bug in TE.

Yes, this is indeed a bug in the TE build you stated. The solution that we found is to either upgrade to version TE 7.5.0.759 (or higher) or to "fix" the index entries in Word first. We wrote a Word macro just for this purpose, and then Trados came out with the new build that contained just that fix.

For TE below build 759 to be able to understand the index entries as translatable content, they need to be formatted exactly to Word specifications, i.e. the spacing between XE and " and the index marker text itself needs to be exactly the way Microsoft does it by default.

We found that with some .doc files, especially when they were created with docuglobe, the index markers are not formatted according to this Microsoft standard.

Hope this helps,
Alexandra

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Alexandra! Oct 23, 2007

That's reassuring to hear that they actually fixed the bug.

Interesting to hear that the spacing is also a general cause for problems, not just for me.

One more reason to upgrade!

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug in TE?! Word index entries (xe field codes) are not parsed

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs