Confusing penalties after using WinAlign?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:54
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2007

Hi all,

Can someone explain this to me?

I understand that a segment created from winaligning two document gets a "flag", saying that it didn't emanate from real translation work.
This flag generates a penalty by default, so that the match won't be 100% using the TM in subsequent translations.

My question: after getting a 98% match when a winaligned segment pops up from the TM, I approve the segment without any changes and close it.
Wouldn't this make the flag go away, and make the segment a 100% match in the TM, replacing the old penalized segment?
That way, the next time the same source shows up, I should get a proper 100% match. I can't make it happen here.

Or does it require some changes in my TM options?!

On a side note: is there any way to manipulate a TM generated from WinAlign to purge all the flags, and make all segments true 100% hits?

Best,

Jan

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The scarlet letter - or how to handle the ALIGN Oct 19, 2007

Hi J-a-n (g)

Maybe there's other ways, but this sure works:

1) export these segments
2) delete them from TM
3) delete align flag from the exported file
4) import again

Possibly there's a way to "maintainance away" this nuisance, if nuisance it is, but I have not found / tried it.

Regards

smo

PS: of course you can always set the ALIGN penalty to zero (afaik)

[Edited at 2007-10-19 11:14]

Jorge Aguilar Juarez  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:54
German to Spanish
same user? Oct 19, 2007

Hi Jan and Vito. When you import an aligned file into a Translation memory, the creation user is set by default as "ALIGN!", which you can change for your own user ID. So, during translation, if you accepted the "flagged" translation created by WinAlign, your user ID is added as the "Change user" of the translation unit, so the Aligment penalty no longer applies.

Maybe you defined your User Id when aligning your files causing that the "Change user" never change when you confirm a TU, leaving the flag activ?

As Vito says, you could set the Aligment penalty to 0%.

regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confusing penalties after using WinAlign?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs