Mobile menu

Confusing penalties after using WinAlign?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:43
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 19, 2007

Hi all,

Can someone explain this to me?

I understand that a segment created from winaligning two document gets a "flag", saying that it didn't emanate from real translation work.
This flag generates a penalty by default, so that the match won't be 100% using the TM in subsequent translations.

My question: after getting a 98% match when a winaligned segment pops up from the TM, I approve the segment without any changes and close it.
Wouldn't this make the flag go away, and make the segment a 100% match in the TM, replacing the old penalized segment?
That way, the next time the same source shows up, I should get a proper 100% match. I can't make it happen here.

Or does it require some changes in my TM options?!

On a side note: is there any way to manipulate a TM generated from WinAlign to purge all the flags, and make all segments true 100% hits?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Local time: 20:43
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The scarlet letter - or how to handle the ALIGN Oct 19, 2007

Hi J-a-n (g)

Maybe there's other ways, but this sure works:

1) export these segments
2) delete them from TM
3) delete align flag from the exported file
4) import again

Possibly there's a way to "maintainance away" this nuisance, if nuisance it is, but I have not found / tried it.

PS: of course you can always set the ALIGN penalty to zero (afaik)

[Edited at 2007-10-19 11:14]

Jorge Aguilar Juarez  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:43
German to Spanish
same user? Oct 19, 2007

Hi Jan and Vito. When you import an aligned file into a Translation memory, the creation user is set by default as "ALIGN!", which you can change for your own user ID. So, during translation, if you accepted the "flagged" translation created by WinAlign, your user ID is added as the "Change user" of the translation unit, so the Aligment penalty no longer applies.

Maybe you defined your User Id when aligning your files causing that the "Change user" never change when you confirm a TU, leaving the flag activ?

As Vito says, you could set the Aligment penalty to 0%.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confusing penalties after using WinAlign?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs