Problem with Clean Up in Trados 5
Thread poster: Renassans LS
Renassans LS
Local time: 03:30
German to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2003

Hello!

A new problem suddenly popped up when I had finished a translation using Trados 5 FL today.

When trying to do the clean up, I get the error message: [50016] Don\'t use ; as list separator in style name. Change in Control Panel/Regional settings/Number.

I checked the Trados help-file, but the same explanation - you are not supposed to have a ; as list separator - was given there.

My problem is that I can\'t change the list separator...well, I can\'t find it!

I use Windows XP, and the path described doesn\'t seem to be correct for XP. Could someone, please, tell me how to do correct this?

Secondly, I find the error highly odd, considering that I never had this problem with any files before, and I didn\'t change the list separator before translating this file. Err...did it change itself?

I dunno, but any help would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Jonas

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Two ways to manage your problem Feb 18, 2003

First and easiest: clean the file within Word. Use a macro called tw4winClean.Main (Alt+F8 ) and let it run. Your file should then be completly cleaned up, but without beeing saved as RTF.

Saving as RTF needs not to have those \";\" within the style names, and that´s why you get this error from the WB.

To get rid of ; you need to organize your style sheet (menu Format - Organize or similar, as I have only German Word).

Then you can see on the left side all styles defined in your file and on the right side all styles defined in your normal.dot

Search the left side for styles with ; in their name. If you use Word XP you can also click on a double A beside the style name field. Word opens a table with style names - you should be able to see namens with ; there too. All styles with ; are to rename, replacing ; with - or something like that.

HTH

Jerzy

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-19 08:17]

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Win Control Panel - Regional settings Feb 19, 2003

I also had this problem. A simple solution for Win ME was choosing Regional settings-Number tab from the Windows Control Panel and setting the list separator to anything but \";\"

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-19 00:12]

Renassans LS
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Feb 19, 2003

I used the macro and it sure cleaned the file (along with some of the formatting unfortunately but that\'s not so bad).

Many thanks for your help!

Best regards

Jonas

xxxTService  Identity Verified
English to German
Deutsche Erklärung... Feb 19, 2003

Das liegt an den \"Formatvorlagen\" in Word - die werden in den sprachlich unterschiedlichen Versionen auch unterschiedlich genannt - und beim Übersetzen anderssprachiger Texte quasi vermischt, indem die alte Bezeichnung der Formatvorlage mit der neuen verbunden, aber durch ein Semikolon getrennt wird.

Es ist dieses Semikolon in der Benennung von Formatvorlagen, über das Trados meckert.

Abhilfe: Wie Jerzy schon schrieb - unter Format / Formatvorlage... die entsprechende Formatvorlage umbenennen, Dokument neu speichern und dann entweder das von Jerzy beschriebene Makro ablaufen oder den Text wie gewohnt säubern lassen.

Soweit ich weiß, legt die Makro-Methode keine Sicherheitskopie der aktuellen Datei an - also in jedem Fall vorher nochmal unter anderem Namen speichern, falls Du die unbereinigte Version auch noch brauchst.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Backup copy Feb 19, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-19 07:48, TService wrote:

Soweit ich weiß, legt die Makro-Methode keine Sicherheitskopie der aktuellen Datei an - also in jedem Fall vorher nochmal unter anderem Namen speichern, falls Du die unbereinigte Version auch noch brauchst.

As T-Service states, this macro does not produce any backup, so the file should be saved befor with a different name, if an uncleaned version is necessary.

But more important: this macro does not update the TM, so any changes, done in this file without opening and closing segments with Workbench are lost. One should be aware of this, before cleaning with this macro. On the other hand, this macro destroys far less than cleaning with Workbench, because it does not convert the whole file to RTF, what is the case if using Workbench. And RTF is never 100% compatible with Word formating. Many links and embeded pictures are damaged after cleaning with Workbench.

I almost never clean with WB for this reasons.

Kind regards

Jerzy

Renassans LS
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay Feb 19, 2003

Thanks to both of you.

I did save the file under a different name before proceeding with the macro. The changes in formatting weren\'t that bad, and I could easily adjust the file according to the original.

Some interesting things you bring up, Jerzy! I\'ll remember to see to it that I update the TM.

Best regards

Jonas

Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 22:30
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
thank you (8 years later still got me out of a problem) May 30, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

First and easiest: clean the file within Word. Use a macro called tw4winClean.Main (Alt+F8 ) and let it run. Your file should then be completly cleaned up, but without beeing saved as RTF.

This forum is great!

Thank you Jerzy, and thank you all!

Laura

PS: It still works with Trados 2007 Workbech 8.2

[Edited at 2011-05-30 22:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Clean Up in Trados 5

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs