Mobile menu

Translating Word doc text boxes in TagEditor
Thread poster: Frank Ekeberg

Frank Ekeberg
Norway
Local time: 09:27
English to Norwegian
Oct 20, 2007

I have found information stating that TagEditor will open text boxes in MS Word documents for translation. I am working on a 176 page document which contain many text boxes on top of graphics, but my TagEditor (ver. 8.0.0.822) does not open any of these for translation. I have translated the rest of the document in TagEditor, and am now clicking on each individual text box in MS Word in order to translate the text in them, which is quite a tedious method. Is there an option or a setting that will allow these to open as segments in TagEditor for translation the "normal" way?

Frank

Direct link Reply with quote

Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
German to Lithuanian
Set the "Normal View" in Word Oct 20, 2007

Usually is the "MS Word" editing window set to "Print Layout View" (buttons bottom left).
When I translate text boxes, I set it to "Normal View". Try it.

Gerard Renard  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2007)
English to French
Make an export of unknown segment Oct 20, 2007

When I have a document with a complicated layout, I first make an analysis of the document, then I export the unknown segments (with analogy

Gerard Renard  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2007)
English to French
a part of my text has been cut Oct 20, 2007

When I have a document with a complicated layout, I first make an analysis of the document, then I export the unknown segments (with analogy of more than 99%) to a .rtf file.
I translate this rtf file in the usual way, profread it and update the translation memory by a cleaning. After that, I pretranslate the final document using the updated memory. Normally, the document should be fully translated (see log), and you only have to make a quick look to this final document.

Gérard

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Text Boxes ("shapes") work - graphics and SmartArt not Oct 20, 2007

Hello,

I have checked this with both Word 2003 (.doc) and Word 2007 (.docx) in SDL TRADOS 2007, SP1 (826). For both formats it works fine with the text boxes I have created.

Textboxes (actually called "Shapes" in the word document model) are represented in the TTX as follows:

<textbox>
<paragraph>
This is the text field content.
</paragraph>
</textbox>

However, please note that text in embedded or referenced graphics (i.e. the text boxes are not word text boxes, but text boxes from some external graphic format) cannot not processed.
Also, please note that 2007 Word "SmartArt" objects cannot be processed as well. They are represented with the internal tag <picture/>.

Beside this, you might like to try to convince your customer of processing problems with 176 pages documents. Usually it is recommended and regarded as best practice to create word documents not longer than 30 to 50 pages.
I also recommend to consider switching to Adobe FrameMaker for content rich and high volume documentation projects. FrameMaker is commonly regarded as the best choice for large scale documentation projects.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
expand boxes into cells Oct 20, 2007

Hi! this is one possibility. Like a table that contains many formatted boxes in a sequence, one could expand them see also the target segment. This normally works, unless the box itself is a graphic element. Best regards, Brandis

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you open your "tet boxes" by a single click? Oct 21, 2007

Frank Ekeberg wrote:

I have found information stating that TagEditor will open text boxes in MS Word documents for translation. I am working on a 176 page document which contain many text boxes on top of graphics, but my TagEditor (ver. 8.0.0.822) does not open any of these for translation. I have translated the rest of the document in TagEditor, and am now clicking on each individual text box in MS Word in order to translate the text in them, which is quite a tedious method. Is there an option or a setting that will allow these to open as segments in TagEditor for translation the "normal" way?

Frank

Or do you need a double click on them?
Text boxes, placed in your document, should all be opened by Tageditor. However, any embedded elements will NOT be opened.

Jerzy

Frank Ekeberg
Norway
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
Embedded in pictures... Oct 21, 2007

Thank you all for good suggestions.
Upon closer examination of the tags I see that they say 'Picture' and not 'Textbox'. I have to click twice in order to edit the text, which I guess means that I have to enter each box individually in order to complete the translation. Very annoying with such a big document.

Frank

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Word doc text boxes in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs