Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
Local time: 00:06
English to Dari
+ ...
Oct 20, 2007

Hi,

Is it possible to translate PDF files through SDLX while not having Adobe InDesign?

Regards,

Mohammad

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:06
German to French
+ ...
PDF is not Indesign Oct 20, 2007

Hi Mohammad,

PDF has nothing to do with Indesign, except from being also an Adobe software/format.

A pdf file is created as an image of another file - it can be a Word file, an Indesign file, a QuarkXPress file, a jpg, whatever you want - the purpose is to make it viewable by anyone since it requires only the Acrobat Reader software, available for free, and not the source software.

It is not an editable format, i.e. you cannot change the text of a pdf file
... See more
Hi Mohammad,

PDF has nothing to do with Indesign, except from being also an Adobe software/format.

A pdf file is created as an image of another file - it can be a Word file, an Indesign file, a QuarkXPress file, a jpg, whatever you want - the purpose is to make it viewable by anyone since it requires only the Acrobat Reader software, available for free, and not the source software.

It is not an editable format, i.e. you cannot change the text of a pdf file inside the same pdf file. It is like a printed version, but on screen.

So if you are given a pdf file to translate, you have two solutions:
- either you have the source software and you can ask the client for the source file to translate it
- or you don't have the source software and the "easiest" way is to convert this pdf to word to get the text and translate it. Depending on the conversion tool, some of the layout may be lost or the resulting Word file may be complicated, but you will be able to translate this text with the CAT tool of your choice.

HTH
Regards,
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source Software? Oct 20, 2007

What is source software?

I have two files to translate: a TIF Image and a PDF file. Both contain scanned documents.

I am wondering if somehow I can use my CAT tools to translate the files?

Thanks,

Mohammad

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:06
English to Danish
+ ...
You can't edit PDFs Oct 20, 2007

The source software referred to is for instance Microsoft Word if it's a Word file etc.

The problem is that PDF files (and TIF files for that matter) are image files and NOT text based files that can be edited. The computer simply doesn't see a PDF as text, but an image.

So to translate a PDF file (or TIF file) using any CAT tool, you have to convert the PDF into an editable file. You can do this by using a OCR program (I use FineReader) to scan the file and convert it
... See more
The source software referred to is for instance Microsoft Word if it's a Word file etc.

The problem is that PDF files (and TIF files for that matter) are image files and NOT text based files that can be edited. The computer simply doesn't see a PDF as text, but an image.

So to translate a PDF file (or TIF file) using any CAT tool, you have to convert the PDF into an editable file. You can do this by using a OCR program (I use FineReader) to scan the file and convert it into e.g. a Word file.

This problem has been discussed here several times before. Search the forums and/or look at these articles:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/128/1/PDF-files:-creating,-using,-converting
or
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/480/1/Handling-PDF-Documents

Good luck!
Jørgen
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
English to Spanish
How-to Oct 20, 2007

· Save the whole PDF as .TIFF
· Open Microsoft Office Document Imaging (START > PROGRAMS > MICROSOFT OFFICE > MICROSOFT OFFICE TOOLS > Microsoft Office Document Imaging)
· Import the first image
· Click on the menu icon "Recognize text using OCR"
· Now you can copy the text manually using the arrow "Select" or clicking the icon "Send text to Word".
· Do the same with all images (one by one).

Once you have all text in Word format,
... See more
· Save the whole PDF as .TIFF
· Open Microsoft Office Document Imaging (START > PROGRAMS > MICROSOFT OFFICE > MICROSOFT OFFICE TOOLS > Microsoft Office Document Imaging)
· Import the first image
· Click on the menu icon "Recognize text using OCR"
· Now you can copy the text manually using the arrow "Select" or clicking the icon "Send text to Word".
· Do the same with all images (one by one).

Once you have all text in Word format, open your SDLX software and create an .itd file. Now you can begin translation.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Abdul Katawazai
Abdul Katawazai
Canada
English to Dari
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 21, 2007

Thanks for all the replies. I will get back if I still have any question.

Regards,

Mohammad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating PDF files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »